Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Z820
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I want to updgrade from Win 7 to Win 10.

I'm advised it's prudent to upgrade the BIOS/Firmware before doing so.

I tried using MEInfoWin but all I got were error codes. Further investigation in the bios shows ME Firmware Version and ME Management Mode as being Disabled.

How do I re-enable them?

I assume I need to move a jumper on the motherboard (PCB Rev 1:03)?

Is it the one adjacent to CPU0-DIMM1 and what is the procedure?

Any advice gratefully recieved.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Try this to upgrade the ME firmware on a Z820:

As you noticed, there is a 3 pin header E1 located near the edge of the motherboard, between CPU0-DIMM1 and the power connector P3. 

- Power down the Z820 first.  Then move the jumper on E1 to pins 1 and 2.  (pin 3 is closest to the CPU DIMM connector)  The jumper on pins 1-2 enables flashing the ME firmware. 

- After moving the jumper, then power up the system.  Note:  The system only reads the position of this jumper on power up (maybe reset?), so don't move it while the system is running. 

- Now try to flash the ME firmware. 

- If the ME flash worked, then power down the system.  Move the jumper on E1 to pins 2 and 3.  This enables ME.  (Note:  ME is disabled with the jumper on pins 1-2)   

- After powering up the system after flashing and moving the jumper, the system may power down and up and reboot a few times.  This is normal. 

I am not an expert on ME firmware, but I am fairly certain this will help.  E1 is highlighted in yellow below, pin 1 is on the left. 

Z820_ME_E1_location.PNG

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
HP Recommended

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your detailed post and the jumper procedure explanation.

I moved the jumper on E1 from the initial position 2-3 to 1-2 as you stated and noted that in the BIOS under System Information, ME Firmware and ME Management Mode are still listed as being disabled.

Do you know if there is something else in the BIOS (J63 V03.88 (27.05.2015)) that would cause this to be disabled regardless of the jumper position?

Or is it due to no ME drivers being installed or corrupted firmware?

Thanks,

HP Recommended

Putting a jumper on E1 pins 1-2 enables flashing the ME firmware.  It also disables ME, if the system is restarted with the jumper on pins 1-2.  That is why the initial position is pins 2-3 so ME is enabled.  Jumper position 2-3 enables ME, but does not allow flashing or updates, so that is why the jumper has to be moved to flash ME and then moved back to enable ME. 

Make sure the system is off when moving the jumper, because the jumper position is only recognized when the system is powered up. 

I am an HP Employee.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
HP Recommended

Sorry Dan perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

I get your point about moving the jumper (to pins 1-2) to enable flashing of the ME.

But regardless of the jumper position, in BIOS it shows ME as being disabled.

Moving the jumper to the intial position, pins 2-3 has no effect on what is reported via the BIOS , ie that ME Firmware Version and ME Management Mode is Disabled. 

HP Recommended

Sorry, I misunderstood you. 

ME drivers must be installed in Windows.  The Win10 drivers are located here.  (It is listed under Drivers -> Chipset in the Z820 Win10-64 Drivers and Software Download page, FYI). 

If this does not work, sorry, I am not very familiar with ME installations.

I am an HP Employee.

HP Recommended

Hi Dan,

I flashed my ME Frimware using the jumper procedure you gave and all went well, so thanks again for that.

With regard to the question I raised i.e. "Do you know if there is something else in the BIOS (J63 V03.88 (27.05.2015)) that would cause ME Firmware and ME Management Mode to be listed in the BIOS as Disabled regardless of the jumper position?"

Well I've found that disabling AMT has that effect.

HP Recommended

Hi Dan,

After flashing my firmware I get "Management Platfrom (ME) in Manufacturing Mode" at POST.

Why is that?

Do you know how to remove it?

Desktop works fine otherwise, I'm not aware of any ill-effect.

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.