Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i have a m8530f desktop PC with a m2n78-la mother board it doesn't see my drives for some reason. i thought it might be a bios problem. is there any way to fix this or do i need to get another board

341 REPLIES 341
HP Recommended

Did they work before? Have you checked the data and power cable connections?

Does the BIOS recognize your drives (e.g. are they showing up)?

Are they in Device Manager and working properly?

What does it show under: Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management ?

HP Recommended

it did work fine for a year or two, i went to use it and it said it didnt shut down correctly so i restarted it to find it booting up vary slowly. i ran the test from the bios and it said to check the cables , witch i did and tried again, same thing, so i went to set- up and seen that my cd/dvd drive and the hard drive where not being seen by the computer. i tried putting a new hard drive in but it didnt help. (I'm not abl to get past the boot up so i cant answer any of your questions about that). so is there something i can do with it or do i need a new board. or maybe a pre programed bios chip.

HP Recommended

Before you begin, disconnect everything from the computer (USB devices, printers, floppy disks, and CD/DVD discs) but leave the mouse, monitor and keyboard connected.

You already checked and made sure that the power and data cables have a good connection to your drives and the motherboard now go to your BIOS Setup (should be F10) and reset the BIOS to its' defaults (should be F5 and then press the enter key). Arrow over to the Main screen and the hard drive should be recognized. Exit BIOS and save the changes. The computer should load the Windows OS if it's installed on the hard drive. If you get into Windows, check the Device Manager to make sure that the drive is showing up there too.

If the hard drive was not detected, after you save the changes and exit the BIOS, turn off the computer. Disconnect the power cord from the back of the PC then press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the computer and see if it boots up. 

If it still doesn't boot up, try a different SATA connection on the motherboard (one that hasn't been used). If that doesn't help, disconnect the Memory card reader connections inside the computer and try to boot again. If it still doesn't work and since you already tried a new hard drive, I would suspect a SATA controller/bus problem and you may need to install a SATA controller card to resolve the problem.

HP Recommended

Are you running Windows Vista or Windows 7?

If you're running Windows 7, install this and then load BIOS defaults.

HP Recommended

Hello!

I got the same problem with you on the same computer.

The problem has started from last week.   The computer couldn't recognize STAT HDD and STAT DVD.

After restarting a few time, it was working sometimes but not anymore...

So, what did you do?  Do you have an idea ?

HP Recommended

Can anyone tell me (I also have an HP 8530 computer.  Is there a difference between a pocket drive and a personal storage media drive.  I got this machine as a gift, grew up with typewriters, and have no real idea what I am getting into. I have been up all night trying to find someone who could answer my (probably stupid) questions.  I do NOT know either the mother or father board of my computer, but I guess they would be H & P.

Please help if possible.  Sorry to waste your time.  Thank you if you can help

Sheldon

HP Recommended

Same issue as the previous owners. No drives shown in BIOS. Bought another motherboard, same problem. Tried other hard drives, tried other SATA cables, tried other memory thinking it might be goofing things up. No joy. Tried another power supply thinking the voltage may be sagging. No boot. I have noticed that it initially looks like it tries, after it has been on for a bit and I reboot, it doesn't even display video. The CPU heat sink was totally plugged up with foreign material, I cleaned that all out but now must ask myself did the CPU fry itself? I have never seen a CPU work halfway, its either alive, or dead. Ordered a replacement CPU, its the only thing I have not changed besides the case, and the power switch.

Does anybody on this forum have any other ideas or tricks to try? Running out of ideas and money.

HP Recommended

Certainly glad I looked at this blog before I went through all that you have. Mine fails during boot, although when I reseated the ram it worked once, long enough to run a check of the cpu and the ram, it confirmed that those were ok, Then it just froze. Looks like this could be a system problem with the motherboard and it appears to be happening to several of the machines.

I am going to see if there is another motherboard out there with similar features that will support the cpu and the memory that I already have. Maybe ASUS, the motherboard manufacturer, will have an answer, Will check back if I come up with anything

HP Recommended

i'm having same problem with my motherboard. Anyone resolve this yet? I'm having a hard time finding another motherboard that will be a direct replacement, everyone keeps telling me that only an HP board will fit.

Any thoughts on using a pci express sata card instead?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.