Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello all,

I am fixing my girlfriend's computer.  The symptoms are as follows:

Powers on, but:

- no beep,

- no POST,

- no display,

- cannot access bios because of no display

- HDD LED not active

To try to solve the situation I have tried:

- Installing that hard drive in my pc (it works)

- Swapping SATA cables (symptoms still persist)

- Switching PSU's (new psu works, symptoms still persist)

- Swapping a compatible CPU (symptoms still persist)

- Removing RAM (did not have compatible RAM to swap) (no beeps, no continous beep, symptoms persist)

- Integrating a dedicated GPU for the display

- Replacing CMOS battery.

I have concluded that it must be the sata controller (becaues motherboard receives power and fans spin) or a bios failure.

So my question would be,

1) Does this sound like a bios problem?  If so, how can I install new bios with no display?

2) Does this sound like a SATA controller failure?  If so, can I replace or somehow get around buying a whole new motherboard (those things are very expensive - might as well buy a new pc)?

Thank you for your input.

The desktop pc model is HP P6313w.

The motherboard model is pegatron m2tn78-la (violet 6) rev 6.01

-Scott

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I have concluded that it is a bad SATA controller on the motherboard.  So, Im going to order a new motherboard.  Since I don't care about specs, I'm just looking for a cheap motherboard that will be compatible with this pc's pcu and ram (and whatever else needs to be compatible?).

I think this motherboard could be a drop in replacement:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186205

Here are the original motherboard specs:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01925562

Would this be a drop in replacement so I don't have to find a new cpu, ram, and whatever else?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Review the bios update for your PC.  Contact HP Support and see if they have a suggestion on how to update the bios. HP's support number is 800-474-6836 or 800-HPINVENT or online here.  There is no free lunch if your PC is off warranty. Do you have an extended warranty by chance?

New motherboard differences: 

The back I/O plate is differnet so hopfully the one supplied with the new mobo will fit.

The new mobo is missing a SPDIF port.

The new mobo is missing a 1394 port.

New mobo has an ATX 8 pin power connector. 4 pin should be OK but see the manual for a tip.

The HP Recovery Disks will no longer work.

You might be able to get Microsoft to activate the old OEM license since this is a replacement mobo.  You'll be better off by buying a Windows license and do a clean installation.

More Foxconn mobo information here.

Know what the return policy is before you buy.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I've came a cross the same sata problem on the motherboard, as I have found many other people did.

For anyone having this issue, instead of replacing the motherboard, can't you just get a cheap PCI SATA adapter? So instead of using the onboard Sata, add one in the pci slot (Cost ~$5 on ebay)

HP Recommended

YES YOU CAN!   But there is just one small thing that you need to know about. 

The problem on why this happens is due to overheating of the North  bridge/southbridge/Fusion i/o  on the board were the small heat sink is.  

It gets so hot, you can boil water on it.    THIS IS SITTING AT IDILE!  

So, If you plan to keep this board or machine working,   (Cuz you love vista or somthing)  you need to keep these parts of the board cool!   Heck just sticking a fan over this small block will help out.  Or just put a large Cooler. Up to you.   But you need way more air flow over this guy! 

But again, if you do that, your just waiting out the invetiable.   it will die soon, and take out the rest of the system at some point.  

Good luck!  

iMickey503.  

WHoa!  THread from the DEAD!   To bad its not Haloween! 

Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.