cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Mach10
2 2 0 0
Message 11 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you want to do simple thing as boot to windows directly and not have to deal with thet F1 key button ... read below this info ...

This came from website >>> http://www.edlug.org.uk/archive/May2004/msg00486.html

> I had this problem with a compaq 486 I was using as a firewall. The
> solution is to download
> a utility called NO_F1.COM, which is buried inside a Softpaq.
>
> Here's some info I just found on google, I think this is the right thing:
>
> SP0667.EXE - NO_F1.COM
>
> All Compaq 386 and 486 based machines have the ability to run without a
> keyboard attached.  Some Compaq machines allow the user to select this mode
> of operation by selecting "Network Server" mode in their setup program.
> For those that do not offer this option NO_F1.COM is a DOS based program
> that is run one time which sets a bit in CMOS that instructs the BIOS not
> to wait for a keystroke after displaying the "Press [F1] to continue"
> message.
>
> This Softpaq (SP0667.EXE) replaces SP0378.EXE which is an older
> version of NO_F1.COM.
>
> Download via ftp at ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp0501-1000/SP0667.ZIP

For the ones reading this reply in this HP Forum  ... Okay ... after getting this file .... you want to extract/get the file called .... NO_F1.com ...........

Then ... create a Floppy Disk that will boot to the A drive when you re-start your PC .... I used a old Windows Millenium Startup Disk and added the file .... NO_F1.com ... to the rest of the files.

Have the boot disk in your floppy drive ... when you get to the A prompt ..  then ... type the name ... NO_F1.com .... and your done.

When you reboot your PC ... it will boot to windows without wantiing you to hit the F1 key.  But everytime you mess with the Setup Bios ... and do a save ... you lose that function and will need to dig out the floppy and do it again.

My HP D510C has a speaker built in ... and I do hear the error beep .... I could just unplug the speaker ... but this PC is not for me ... it is for a lady friend.

Just do a search on the Internet ... for .... NO_F1.com ... you will find the answers.

I have a AXLE Nvidia GeForce 6200A AGP Video card with 256 MB ... also works with the 512MB version installed in a HP D510C that gives me that F1 error and this fix ... works.  Works fine ... once I get into Windows.

I'm using this PC right now to post this message.  Allows me to play more games that require more video ram.

Message Edited by Mach10 on 11-03-2009 05:13 AM
Message Edited by Mach10 on 11-03-2009 05:20 AM
Message Edited by Mach10 on 11-03-2009 05:22 AM
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,969 41,846 4,651 12,425
Message 12 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

In this HP support web document you will find a newer BIOS and a microcode update.

This is probably what you were looking for.

I just read through your thread. Sorry I wasn't able to help sooner than this. I was busy with other threads and my life. 🙂

regards,

erico 

I am not an HP Employee.
Nacho2300
1 1 0 0
Message 13 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended
suthan
1 1 0 1
Message 14 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have got a HP DX6120 motherboard with out the orignal casing of HP computer. I fixed the board in an ATX casing and did not find the cables to connect the front panel of the motherboard. So when ever I tried to restart the computer, it show some errors and ask me to press F1:boot to continue. After pressing F1 it works fine but I wanted to boot my system without any error as I wanted to use my computer remotely from some other destination. I am pasting the error messages I get on every restart. Could you please help in disabling the below error messages.

----------------------------------------------------------------

918-Front USB Not Connected
917-Front Audio Not Connected

1801-Microcode Update Error
Missing or Invalid Processor Microcode Update.Please contact Hewlett-Packard 
Company for a new Microcode Update to support the Processor stepping

F1:Boot             
                   <F9=Boot Menu>  <F10=setup>  <F12=Network Service Boot>

----------------------------------------------------------------

I also googled about the missing microcode update. I found that I need to update the BIOS but I could not find the exact way how to do this. In HP forum, I found the following notes:

1. Download the SoftPaq .EXE file to a directory on your hard drive.

2. Execute the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

I have downloaded the SoftPaq.exe and tried to download the BIOS update but it says that it will only download the necessary bios update and could not install automatically. Kindly advice me the proper way to update the microcode for pocessor.

Thanks in advance

suthan

SalmanJohnson
1 1 0 0
Message 15 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Hello, I have a problem with my board. It works in the original HP case housing but when I moved into a different case, it pops up the 917 front audio not connected and also the 918 front USB not connected. The case I have has cables for it and they are well connected. The Usbs in the back work but at a reduced speed. Whenever I plug a device in, windows says that it can perform faster.
kalagani
1 1 0 1
Message 16 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello,

when  I moved may mother board HPxw4300 into a different case, same errors and F1 messages

918-Front USB Not Connected
917-Front Audio Not Connected

F1:Boot             
                   <F9=Boot Menu>  <F10=setup>  <F12=Network Service Boot>

but I solved all putting to 0 Volt a pin on each USB and Audio connector on the motherboard:

I think BIOS at boot is testing these pins to determine if cable from front panel is plugged but unfortunately a lot of front cables do not have a wire on these pins, so BIOS is thinking no cable.

On USB and Audio connectors the pin to put to Ov are each time this opposite to the gap.

On my HPxw4300 motherboard I take the Ov from the pin number 12 (also near a gap) on CONTROL PANEL connector!

Myselfing
1 1 0 1
Message 17 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I hate when people say ''I solved it'' but they're so smart, that they can't explain how they did it. You solved putting to a 0 Volt, is that right? I suggest some of you users start to pay more attention that you're actually missing the chance to help non advanced users, if you guys bother to explain how that ''solution'' was even made. Sorry but this is becoming more frequently around the globe so it's time to start scratching it out.

For the lack of your explanation in the 0 Volt matter, I'm here to fulfill your part so people don't need to brake their heads on google because of it.

You can solve the F1 problem by solding the pins, or bending them or even putting some fixed metal on it. The motherboard uses pins 5, 6, 7,9 and 10 to detect whether or not the front-panel audio jack is connected to the system.  To bypass the need for the front-panel connector, you're going to need to short pin 5 to pin 6 and pin 7 to pins 9 and 10 using some solder.  It isn't for the average user, but maybe this is the time to leave the basics (I don't think that anyone looking for old mobos would be basic user but...)

So, sorry for what I've said but I just don't like when the solution isn't properly given as you did with such vague comment. Let's go.

erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,969 41,846 4,651 12,425
Message 18 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Myselfing 

I concur with you.

In order to keep the forum and threads timely, I will be blocking new replies to this very old thread.

I am not an HP Employee.
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation