Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Victus by HP Gaming Laptop 15-fa0000 (680A7AV)

Whenever I am playing games, my keyboard just randomly disconnects. I know it's not the keyboard problem because I used the right side of my USB port to plug in and it detected it. The left tho, did not detect it and made no noise. And no, there is no dust. I suspect that either my laptop system needs to be fixed or replace the USB port because this problem started after cleaning my laptop fan. And no, I did not touch the USB in any way. (My keyboard is a Steelseries apex. The software sometimes does not detect it when it's plagued even tho it's up to date.)

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

It seems like you're experiencing connectivity issues with the USB port on the left side of your laptop, particularly when using your Steelseries Apex keyboard. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the problem:

1. Try Another USB Device:

• Plug another USB device into the left USB port to see if it's recognized. This will help determine if the issue is specific to your keyboard or if it's a problem with the USB port itself.
  2. Update USB Drivers:

• Make sure your laptop's USB drivers are up-to-date. You can do this by going to the device manager, finding the USB controllers section, and updating the drivers.
  3. Check Power Settings:

• Some laptops have power-saving features that can affect USB ports. Go to your laptop's power settings and ensure that USB selective suspend is disabled.
  4. BIOS/UEFI Update:

• Check if there's a BIOS/UEFI update available for your laptop on the manufacturer's website. Sometimes, updating the system firmware can resolve hardware-related issues.
  5. Try a USB Hub:

• If the left USB port continues to be problematic, you might consider using a USB hub connected to a different port. This can help isolate whether the issue is specific to that particular port.
  6. Steelseries Apex Software:

• Ensure that the Steelseries Apex software is up-to-date. Sometimes, updating the software can improve compatibility and resolve detection issues.
  7. Check for System Errors:

• Look for any error messages or warnings in the Windows Event Viewer related to USB or hardware issues. This might provide more insight into the problem.
  8. Try a System Restore:

• If the issue started after cleaning your laptop fan, you could try using the System Restore feature to revert your system to a state before the cleaning. This can help determine if the problem is related to changes made during the cleaning process.
  9. Contact Laptop Manufacturer Support:

• If the problem persists, and especially if your laptop is still under warranty, it might be worthwhile to contact the laptop manufacturer's support for further assistance. They may provide specific troubleshooting steps or recommend a repair if necessary.

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, there may indeed be a hardware problem with the USB port, and you might need to consider professional assistance or replacement.

HP Recommended

Thanks for providing Such Great iformation

HP Recommended

that's really helpful because i had quit a similar problem glad that i saw this post 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.