Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hp Omen 30l
Microsoft Windows 11

I was wondering if I can do a motherboard swap to upgrade my cpu with the same psu 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @21_Shah 

The 30L PCs use a standard ATX power supply.

You should be able to use your PCs power supply with a different MB and CPU. You should be able to use the HP RAM if the new MB supports the existing RAM installed in your HP MB.

I would look at using a different, retail PC case if you are planning to upgrade the MB and CPU.

You won't have a HP PC if you upgrade to a newer, retail MB.

You will have to purchase a new Windows product key if you want an activated copy of Windows when upgrading to a different MB.

Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @21_Shah 

The 30L PCs use a standard ATX power supply.

You should be able to use your PCs power supply with a different MB and CPU. You should be able to use the HP RAM if the new MB supports the existing RAM installed in your HP MB.

I would look at using a different, retail PC case if you are planning to upgrade the MB and CPU.

You won't have a HP PC if you upgrade to a newer, retail MB.

You will have to purchase a new Windows product key if you want an activated copy of Windows when upgrading to a different MB.

Regards

HP Recommended

To add to what Bill_To has already told you ...

You can not reuse your present Windows because the OEM product key is embedded into the firware of the motherboard, so when you change boards, you are essentially throwing away the windows license -- and HP will not issue or sell you a second one.  And you will not then be able to reactivate that copy of Windows because only an HP OEM product key will do that.

So not only do you have to buy a new copy of Windows, you also have to install THAT new copy -- as the product key coming with it will not reactivate the HP OEM version of Windows.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.