Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Victus by HP 15L Gaming Desktop PC TG02-1000i (6V9R9AV)

after a update, when I turn on the device, the screen is black and the mouse and keyboard seem to be off. this may have happened since I could have turn the pc on before the update had finished. I've tried a few things, but nothing seems to be working 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Eman24,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like your computer is experiencing issues booting up properly after an update, possibly due to an interruption during the update process. Here are several steps you can try to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

HP Hardware Diagnostics:

• HP provides built-in hardware diagnostic tools. To access these tools, turn on your computer and immediately press the Esc key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens. Press F2 to select System Diagnostics. You can run fast tests or extensive tests to check the health of your hardware components.

Clear CMOS (Reset BIOS):

• If a BIOS corruption is suspected (which can happen if an update is interrupted), clearing the CMOS can reset the BIOS settings to default and potentially resolve the issue. This process involves opening the desktop case and temporarily removing the CMOS battery or using the CMOS reset jumper on the motherboard. If you're not comfortable doing this, seek professional help.
  • Press windows key and then followed by the key "B" and then  the power button for around 3-4 seconds, then release the power button and continue to hold windows+V for 3-4 seconds, you may not receive a response from the computer.

HP Recovery or System Restore:

• If you can access the HP recovery partition, you might be able to perform a system restore or recover the operating system to its original state. To attempt accessing the recovery environment, turn on the computer and immediately press the F11 key repeatedly until the Choose an option screen is displayed. From here, you can navigate to Troubleshoot > Reset this PC or Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore.

HP Support Assistant:

• If you're able to boot into Windows at all (even in Safe Mode), HP Support Assistant can help troubleshoot and resolve issues. It can check for and install system updates, drivers, and fixes. However, this step requires that you're able to boot into Windows.

External Monitor:

• Connect your HP desktop to an external monitor to rule out the possibility of an issue with the desktop's graphics card or onboard graphics. If the external monitor works, the problem might be related to the graphics output rather than the entire system.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.