Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

So I went to clean my fans for dust and took out my video card and took some fans out, dusted them off and reinstalled them. Went to turn it on and nothing. No lights no fans no noise. I tried taking the video card out and turning it on and still nothing. I tried reseating the power button and power connectors and still nothing. I am thinking it is the psu. Is there something I haven't tried?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Arlimin1 

Welcome to the HP Forum.

Figuring out what happened to your PC in a Forum, without access to the PC, would be very difficult if not impossible.

I could see a fan error message or no video if you did not reconnect the components correctly. But seeing the PC is now totally unresponsive is very unusual.

I can only guess electro static discharge (ESD) may have taken out a component when you were removing or installing components. I also hope you removed components after disconnecting the PC from AC power and after you discharged residual MB power.

Check all internal connections to the MB and check external connections to the PC.

Try running the PC with only one stick of RAM, one at a time, in each memory slot. In other words, disconnect: unnecessary peripherals, all drives, front panel USB and card reader, and any internal add-in cards you may have installed in the PC. Use onboard graphics if the CPU supports this.

Same symptom after running the PC in a minimum config would suggest the power supply or MB has a problem. 

Have a local PC tech take a look.

Regards

HP Recommended

I didn't remember to discharge the residual after unplugging it. I did though remember to touch the case before the components.  Since I didn't discharge the residual what components are at risk? I assume everything. I have another psu that I can swap out and it should have enough wattage for the system. I didn't touch any of the ram sticks when dusting because they weren't dusty. Could they be fried eventhough I didn't touch them?

HP Recommended

Hi @Arlimin1 

Any component could be at risk.

This is why I suggested you run the PC only using: one stick of RAM in each memory slot, the CPU, and onboard graphics if possible.

The PC works in a minimum config suggests one of the components you disconnected has failed. A no POST in a minimum config suggests the power supply, the RAM, the MB, or the CPU is in trouble. Or you might have multiple component failures.

I really don't know what has happened; it could be a loose connection somewhere or some component has failed for some reason.

The failure could be coincidental or it happened when you worked with the internals.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.