Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have set "Prevent Unmanaged Connections" for a pool in ZCentral Connect Manager.
If I stop the Manager service with this setting, Remote Boost will not be able to connect.
How can I cancel this setting if the Manager service is stopped?

Can I use the device with Remote Boost until the Manager service is restored?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

When you have the prevent unmanaged connections enabled, this prevents users from making Remote Boost connections outside of the Connect Manager.  To disable, follow the instructions in the Connect User, Section 5.2.  I could not attach the guide here, too large.

5.2. Prevent Unmanaged Connections
ZCentral Connect can restrict User access to Hosts by enabling the Prevent Unmanaged Connections option for Pools and Private Hosts. This functionality is based on the user filtering feature available from HP ZCentral Remote Boost version 20.1 or higher.
When this option is enabled, the Manager will configure the Host to determine the usernames allowed to connect via Remote Boost.
In order to properly enable this feature, the following requirements must be met in the Host:
ZCentral Remote Boost Sender version 20.1 or later installed.
ZCentral Connect Agent version 20.1 or later installed.

This feature can be enabled by creating or editing an existing Pool or Private Host. On the modal, under Options, turn on the Prevent Unmanaged Connections option.
Administrators can also set a list of Users that will always be allowed to connect to Hosts using the property UsersAlwaysAllowedToLogin in the settings file (see Advanced Settings section for more information). This setting applies to all Pools with this feature enabled.

KellyRGS_0-1656623847050.png

NOTE If a Host is assigned to a Pool or Private Host association with Prevent Unmanaged Connections enabled and the Agent monitoring the Host is disconnected at any time, the Manager will not be able to update Remote Boost configuration for that Host and the authorized usernames list will remain unchanged until the Agent reconnects.

NOTE if the Remote Boost Sender configuration on the Host is set to Easy Login, Prevent Unmanaged Connections will not work.

Users allowed to connect
The Users that are allowed to connect are defined by the Manager, which authorizes usernames of these Users to connect to Remote Boost. Following is a list of all the available configurations for the Prevent Unmanaged Connections option in ZCentral Connect:
Hosts assigned to a Pool or Private Host association where Prevent Unmanaged Connections is disabled or not assigned to an association at all:  Anyone is allowed to connect.
Hosts assigned to a Pool or Private Host association where Prevent Unmanaged Connections is enabled and no Sessions are active:  Users with usernames contained in the UsersAlwaysAllowedToLogin property in the Manager Settings are allowed to connect.
NOTE No other User will be able to connect through Remote Boost to this Host until they create a Session with it.

Hosts assigned to a Pool or Private Host association where Prevent Unmanaged Connections is enabled and there is an active Session:  Users with usernames contained in the UsersAlwaysAllowedToLogin property in the Manager Settings are allowed to connect.
The User with an active Session to the Host will have their username authorized and is allowed to connect.
NOTE Disabling the Prevent Unmanaged Connections Pool option will give back permissions for anyone to connect to Hosts in this Pool.

Kelly

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hello Kelly,

Thank you for your reply.

I would like to ask you about trouble case.

When Prevent unmanaged connections is enable, users cannot connect to Host workstation without session.

If ZCentral connect manager is down caused by some trouble, nobody cannot connect to Host workstation.

(Because Prevent unmanaged connection is enable)

Is there anyway to connect to Host workstation without session in urgent trouble case?

'Prevent unmanaged connection' setting is in ZCentral connect server settings, so if server is down, no bypass to use workstation.

I'm looking for any bypass to connect to Host workstation without ZC server (e.g. Connecting to host by remote boost sender/receiver).

Regards,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.