Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
hp color laserjet cp1518ni
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

hello,

i have a question. I have the hp color laserjet cp1518ni which has a 256mb extended ram with type ddr2-4200s.

however, i recently upgraded my old laptop so i also have a 512 mb ram ddr2-4200s. so i was thinking why to spend money without a reason and not use this ram  which is now useless.

so can i do this trick or i will damage my printer???

thank you in advance,

dimitris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello dim51,

As long as the DIMM meets the specification DDR2 144-pin SDRAM you will be fine. Like I mentioned the printer will not recognize anything over the 352MB maximum. Just make sure to power off the printer before installing the dimm and then power on the printer after you have installed the dimm.

Best regards

I am an HP employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

The printer only support the following memory sizes:

64 MB DDR2 144-pin SDRAM DIMM - CB421A
128 MB DDR2 144-pin SDRAM DIMM - CB422A
256 MB DDR2 144-pin SDRAM DIMM - CB423A

Any higher memory DIMM is not supported by the pritner and will be rejected...

Regards,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hello dim51,

The CP1518ni is only going to recognize up to 352MB of memory. Sounds like you are already at 352MB total with the 256MB that you added so it's not going to do you any good to add the 512MB card. Putting in the 512MB is not going to harm the device it just won't recognize anything above 352MB.

Best regards

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

thank you for your help

but 

1) I have not insert any ram card the slot is empty 

2)if you search the code cb423 in eBay you will see that the cards are actually ddr2-4200s and you can take it whatever company you want

however you have confused me with your opinions. Ok I understand that it may work or reject it but what I am afraid of is to damage my printer installing the 512 mb ram that I have. I know that it might work as 256mb but this is what I want but WILL I DAMAGE MY PRINTER DOING THIS ???

THANK YOU 

waiting for your responses 

HP Recommended

Hello dim51,

As long as the DIMM meets the specification DDR2 144-pin SDRAM you will be fine. Like I mentioned the printer will not recognize anything over the 352MB maximum. Just make sure to power off the printer before installing the dimm and then power on the printer after you have installed the dimm.

Best regards

I am an HP employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.