Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart eStation c510
Chrome OS

My printer seems to work fine when I sent "regular" jobs to it through the print spooler of my Windows laptop.  However, I've had a ton of trouble with ePrint, which is the only option for my wife's Chromebook, as well as the best (if it worked) option for guest printing.  I've run through a bunch of other fixes to try to identify the problem and it appears to be entirely related to the printer or HP ePrint (i.e. not the network or the devices sending the print jobs).

Here's what's going on now:

When I send a job through HP ePrint, the printer makes a "ding" noise and a "Print cancelled" message appears in the notifications pulldown display on the touch screen.

The same behavior happens whether I am sending the print job as an e-mail from any device or sending it via Google Cloud Print from the Chromebook (which apparently has to go through HP ePrint servers rather than directly to the printer ... ugh).

The printer is connected to the network and able to print other documents that I send it.

(Side note: Please let me know where to find the ePrint history for this device.  This tool was referenced in some of the help articles that I read.  Those articles said that it should be on the My Printers page of HP Connected, but I don't see it.  I believe that I'm on the right page: URL is https://www.hpconnected.com/us/en#devices/)

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @agentcom,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

You are experiencing issues when using HP ePrint to print to a Chromebook, correct? You might want to try printing from HP Print for Chrome, which was designed with Chromebooks in mind. Go to Printing with the HP Print for Chrome App for detailed steps.

Let me know if that helps!

Cloud Queen
I am an HP employee. I work on behalf of HP.

Click the thumbs up + button if I have helped you.

Mark Accepted Solution if your problem is solved.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I did a little research on the HP Support pages for your printer model and found the notification below - 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-photosmart-estation-all-in-one-printer-series-c510/4073314/m...

According to this, HP Web Services are no longer supported for this printer.  The notice does list your specific printer model as being affected by this change and it says that HP ePrint will no longer work as of Sept. 2016.

There is also information in the article about replacement services like configuring Google Cloud Print.  Please see the section of the document titled, Are there any substitutions for the affected Web Services features?

Another option may be searching the Google Play app store for an HP mobile app that works on Chromebooks.  The current generation mobile app for Android is HP Smart.  Earlier releases of the app were called HP AIO Remote.  I'm sorry that I don't have a Chromebook to check for you if these are available for that platform.

Best Regards,

Ron

I am an HP employee. My opinions are not the opinions of HP.
HP Recommended

As noted, for your Chromebook you should install HP Print for Chrome, which will allow your wife to print via Wi-Fi to your printer.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

@CloudQueen: Thank you for your response.  Yes, the main issue that brought me here is that I cannot print from a Chromebook.  It may be a separate issue, but I think it's related to the issue that is preventing me from printing from any device with HP ePrint.  I will try your solution for the Chromebook though, since that would at least solve one of the issues.

I looked into the HP Print for Chrome App. It looks like this solution requires me to have a printer with a static IP address.  I could probably set that up, but for a variety of reasons would prefer not to.  Is there any way around this?  If not, is there anything special that I need to consider for giving the printer a static IP?  I've gone away from using static IPs for most things, so I'll need to refresh my memory on that before I can implement this solution.

HP Recommended

@Ron:

I was able to get the Chromebook working by one of the methods linked to in the "Are there any substitutions ..." link that you provided.  The key was setting it up as a Classic Printer.  Thank you!

That resolves things for that particular Chromebook.  Hopefully, with the information that you provided, I will also be able to set up other devices of ours.  So the remaining issue at the moment is the fact that ePrint does not seem to be working from any device.  There are two use cases that this creates a problem for.  First, I sometimes want to be able to print something remotely (not connected to same netwwrk as printer).  Second, ePrint was how I had provided convenient guest access in the past. ePrint works well for me in this use case because guests don't have to download apps, drivers, etc. and instead I just provide them with an e-mail address.

You say that HP ePrint is no longer an option.  Wow, that's really frustrating if it's true. That was one of the main selling points of the printer (e.g., one of the only logos/labels on an otherwise very clean looking device advertises its "ePrint Wireless" functionality). However, other information and experience contradicts the article you linked to.

First, when I attempt to use ePrint, the print job seems to go through HP servers all the way to my printer.  I even get the e-mail from HP that starts "Thank you for using HP's ePrint service. Your print job has been received and prepared for printing..."  If HP couldn't send it to my printer, you'd think that I would instead (or later) receive an error e-mail (as is referenced by this article. 

Second, I am receiving a different error message ("Print Cancelled") on the eStation's interfacethan the one mentioned in your article. 

Third, I was using ePrint much later than that.  The most recent document that I found is from March 21, 2017.  As I noted in the OP, I'm unable to verify exactly when this stopped because I cannot find the "ePrint history" tool that should supposedly be on my HP Connected-->My Printers window.  And even then, it looks like any jobs would be deleted after 30 days according to this article.

Fourth, ePrint is one of the 6 options available for the printer according to the master list from HP.

Fifth, as far as I can tell web services and ePrint are still listed as active/available on my actual printer and it's interface.  If HP did disable this a year ago, no one has told my printer about it's decreased functionality.

Whether ePrint works or not, the more important question for me is how to restore the functionality it provided. 

1. How do I print when not connected to the same network as my printer? 
  2. How can I provide print functionality to others without making them download and install crap that they won't need after printing their plane tickets or whatever?  (Note: I don't mind if the solution requires them to be on the same network as the printer.  In fact, that might actually be preferable.)
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.