Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

Recently I got a new HP laptop, and it worked fine for a while but maybe after 2 or 3 months it started showing DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE, I tried few things and at last got it reset after which it did not appeared. 

But from now on a blue screen started popping up showing: CRITICAL PROCESS DIED and gets stuck there, so I have to manually restart the laptop. More recently the error would come, and it would restart on it's on.

In event viewer it just only shows your pc restarted without properly shutting down, and dump file creation failed.

Also, there are message relating to Distribution COM and Miniport Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2 which I am not sure about.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @Browho,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're experiencing some serious issues with your HP laptop. The "CRITICAL PROCESS DIED" error is a critical system error in Windows, and it usually indicates that a system process or thread has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve these issues.

1. Check for Windows Updates: Make sure your operating system is up to date with the latest updates and patches. Microsoft often releases updates to address known issues and improve system stability.

2. Update Device Drivers: Ensure that all your device drivers are up to date, especially graphics, network, and chipset drivers. You can download the latest drivers from the HP support website.

3. Check for Malware: Run a full system scan using your antivirus software to check for any malware or viruses that might be causing the issues.

4. Memory Check: Run the built-in Windows Memory Diagnostic tool to check for memory issues. Press the Windows key + R, type mdsched.exe, and press Enter. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform a memory test.

5. Disk Check: Run a disk check to ensure that there are no issues with your hard drive. Open a Command Prompt with administrative privileges and type chkdsk /f /r and press Enter. This will schedule a disk check on the next restart.

6. Check for System File Corruption: Open a Command Prompt with administrative privileges and run the command sfc /scannow to check and repair system file corruption.

7. Review Event Viewer Logs: Check the Event Viewer for more detailed information about the critical errors. Look for any patterns or specific events that might be causing the issues.

8. Uninstall Recent Updates or Software: If the issues started after a recent Windows update or the installation of new software, try uninstalling them to see if the problem persists.

9. Restore to a Previous State: If you have a System Restore point created before the issues started, you can restore your system to that point.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

I have done all the things suggested by you, would update if the error still persists.

Mostly it was during the startup of laptop but currently it is not showing up.

HP Recommended

i've been suffering from basically the same issues on my HP pavilion plus 14, no clue what has caused this issue at all. have you found a way to solve it?

HP Recommended

I was not using my laptop lately but among this few days of using there were no such issue until recently I got two such error and device got restarted. 

Still do not understand what's the problem but everything tends to work fine and even diagnostics reports does not show any error.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.