Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-dy1091wm
Microsoft Windows XP

My laptop is out of warranty and purchased in 2020.  I just wanted you to know that very soon after I bought it, it seemed to warp on the bottom and if I try to pick it up by one side only it will freeze.  I am just wondering if this is common.  I have been able to use it just fine for the past 2 years but just wanted you all to know this happened.

K

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

You  likely already know that you should not pick up a notebook other than with both hands  or under the base enclosure.

You should definitely not pick it up by the display since that is just asking for big problems.

What is not common is picking the notebook up in the way you describe. I would expect problems like you have described to happen if it were picked up that way on a usual basis.  You are putting stress on the notebook's enclosure and on the system board inside. It is causing a temporary problem  with a connection between the notebook's  components. 

I have also picked up a notebook as you describe on rare occasions, but have never had one freeze because of it.

There must be a marginal connection of something in the interior causing the freeze.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.