Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

My friend  has bought Compaq CQ-615DX in February and is experiencing issues where she powers down the computer and then the laptop will not start up again. This happens regardless of whether the computer is plugged into the charger or not. Best Buy was able to temporarily fix it by taking out the battery and then restarting it, but it seems the problem is persisting.

I searched around the internet and it seems other people are having a similar problem. They are describing it differently in each case (e.g doesn't power up, doesn't charge at all and won't turn on, doesn't wake up from sleep), but the end result is that the computer won't turn on.

Any ideas what would be causing this and whether HP/Compaq is aware of this and if there's a fix.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi rzamishka, could you describe in much more detail what happens:

a.) blinking lights

b.) gets to Windows screen, HP sreen, blue screen.

If it won't start at all, there could be blink codes that will tell you what's wrong; go here for explanation.

Meanwhile try this standard first fix:

1-remove power cord and battery

2-press power button for 20 seconds

3-reinstall battery and power cord

4-power on

Please reply and let us know your progress.

Good Luck

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended

Hi rzamishka, could you describe in much more detail what happens:

a.) blinking lights

b.) gets to Windows screen, HP sreen, blue screen.

If it won't start at all, there could be blink codes that will tell you what's wrong; go here for explanation.

Meanwhile try this standard first fix:

1-remove power cord and battery

2-press power button for 20 seconds

3-reinstall battery and power cord

4-power on

Please reply and let us know your progress.

Good Luck

HP Recommended

Hi, I have the same model and am experiancing the same problems. I'll use the laptop for a little while. Then I'll shut it down. When I go to reboot it, it's dead like a brick. Even if the battery has a full charge. Doesn't matter if I plug it in or not, it won't turn on.

NO LIGHTS are on whatsoever. It's like it's completely dead.

Taking the battery out and doing the reboot procedure that compenthusiast listed works every time to get it back up and running. The problem is, I have to do this any time I turn the computer off more than once. Surely that's not proper operating procedure?

Should I just take this back to Best Buy? I've had this computer only a few days.

HP Recommended

Hi odbjbg and (rzamishka), second suggested fix is to flip your computer over, open the memory door and pop out the memory, and re-seat each stick of memory. They are held in place with small metal snaps.

Make sure you de-magnetize yourself by touching something metal close to you to discharge any static electricity.

Re-setting your memory modules are described in this document.

Good luck, and reply back with your progress, please.

HP Recommended

I bought the same computer and a friend of mine bought one too.....They are both NOT powering on you have to take out the battery each time......We just bought these computers in feb. ....I guess we are taking them back to best buy.....Doesnt look like compaq. hp is going to have a fix for it.....

HP Recommended

Thanks for the solution!

I bought this CQ60-615DX at the end of February 2010.  Serial Number is (s)2CE00424SV...

Yesterday is the first time this problem popped up after a little over four months of use.

Is this problem indicative of a design flaw or "finicky" component that will grow into a larger problem?

Is there a chance that I will experience a larger failure that cannot be corrected with this simple solution?

Please advise soon as possible.

Jerry Porter

HP Recommended

@jdporterjr wrote:

Thanks for the solution!

I bought this CQ60-615DX at the end of February 2010.  Serial Number is (s)2CE00424SV...

Yesterday is the first time this problem popped up after a little over four months of use.

Is this problem indicative of a design flaw or "finicky" component that will grow into a larger problem?

Is there a chance that I will experience a larger failure that cannot be corrected with this simple solution?

Please advise soon as possible.

Jerry Porter

To resolve this issue, you need to update the BIOS to the latest version available.  The version that is supposed to help resolve this issue is version F.63.

You can downloaded the BIOS for the CS60-615DX here

For other models, just type your product number (PN) into the search box under Support & Drivers, then select your operating system and go to BIOS and download and install the version listed.

HP Recommended

I made an account just to say THANK YOU!!

My computer refused to turn on. I tried everything, i was so frustrated. then i came here and saw your post. I thought thats TOO easy, but decided to try anyways. It worked! Thanks soooo much ❤️

HP Recommended

This solution worked great for my laptop not rebooting after I let the battery go dead accidently.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

He actually explained the issue exactly how it happens and what we see on our computers. If the computer powers off when you go to turn it back on at a later time you get nothing. Your solution to take the battery out and press the power works but this situation occurs nearly 100% of the time that it powers off especially if the battery dies. If the battery dies it will not power back on when plugged in until you go through the steps you have outlined.

Also, my CQ60 will not power off 100% of the time once the lid is closed even though my power profile is set up to power off when the lid is closed. Any help on this would be great.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.