Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Zbook 17 G4

Hi, I've had my HP ZBook 17 G4 for a few years now and have been having issues with some fan(s?) where it is constantly making noise and sometimes sounds almost like it starts spinning off its axis and rattling/hitting something. The only way to temporarily stop it from making the louder terrible noise is a little bit of percussive maintenance or lifting the laptop at an angle. I tried to get it serviced for cleaning but it didn't solve the issue so I'm assuming this going to need replacement (but if you think it could be some other issue I'm all ears on how to fix this). I'm looking to ordering parts and replacing what fans are inside (it's out of warranty).

On my search for the correct spare parts numbers I found this service guide online: https://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05452943.pdf

After looking at the component breakdown on page 19 it looks like the only fans are the Processor fan and Graphics fan which I plan on replacing. However on page 21 there are apparently two types of spare parts for the Processor fan:

• one for use in models with UMA graphics memory (848376-001)
  • One for use in models with discrete graphics memory (848377-001)

I'd just like to double check on this forum on which fan I should get if there is even a difference between the two (out of curiosity how would one function different from another?). 

From what I've searched, this has to do with the display adaptor type? I checked my display adapters in the device manager and it lists both: 

• Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 
  • NVIDIA Quadro P3000

I'm assuming this means that the Intel one is integrated and the NVIDIA is discrete? Does this mean I get the Processor fan for models with discrete graphics memory (848377-001)?

Clarification would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

On another note, are these fan parts all different between device models, or is there a possibility to use an alternative fan that may be more accessible. I went to a few service centers where I live and they said they don't have parts for this model as I purchased it from out of the country. If I can't use an alternative/similar fan, would anyone know any reliable places I could order these parts? Hopefully with international shipping or within Asia as I am in the Philippines right now. I checked the HP Parts Store website for these parts and they are "on backorder, quantity in stock is 0". I will look into the HP Authorized parts resellers that the HP website directed me to as well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You have thought through the issue clearly. Yes you need the fan for a discrete video system. No you cannot substitute a different fan. The part is unique to this model series. This seller ships to the Phillipines:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195375633846?hash=item2d7d4b95b6:g:cqUAAOSwmidjMYg4&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4F...

I would go ahead and replace both fans

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

You have thought through the issue clearly. Yes you need the fan for a discrete video system. No you cannot substitute a different fan. The part is unique to this model series. This seller ships to the Phillipines:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195375633846?hash=item2d7d4b95b6:g:cqUAAOSwmidjMYg4&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4F...

I would go ahead and replace both fans

HP Recommended

Oh my god you are a godsend. Thank you so much for your help! Also good to know my research got me to the right place hahaha.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.