Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-cw1001nx

I recently started getting the BSOD errors for memory management. I looked up how to solve this issue. I have tried many methods such as getting it to a technician, resetting and downloading drivers. I recently tried using the windows memory diagnostic tool and it said 'The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer's memory and detected hardware errors. To identify and repair these problems, contact the computer manufacturer'. Now I feel like the issue is with my RAM. How do I know which kind of RAM I should upgrade to as I want to fix this issue as well as upgrade my memory. 

I ran HWiNFO64 and the Memory is as; Size = 16 GB, Type = DDR4 SDRAM, Clock = 1197.8 MHz = 12.00 x 99.8 MHz, Mode = Dual-Channel, CR = 1T, Timing = 17-17-17-39, tRC = 56, tRFC = 421.
Under Memory Modules; Size = 8 GB, Clock = 1333 MHz, ECC = No, TypeDDR4-2666 / PC4-21300 DDR4 SDRAM SO-DIMM. I am sure there are two RAM sticks installed. 

I would be happy if theres an alternative solution other than buying new RAM but if there isn't then please let me know what RAM I should buy and what the maximum upgrade I can get for RAM on this laptop.

Serial Number: [Personal Information Removed]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your notebook has 2 x 8 GB of memory.

HP Pavilion - 15-cw1001nx Product Specifications | HP® Support

One of the two memory chips needs to be replaced and the only way that I know of to figure out which one is no good is to remove one of the two memory chips and run the memory test with only one of the memory chips installed.

You saw how fast that Windows memory test reports that 'The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer's memory and detected hardware errors. To identify and repair these problems, contact the computer manufacturer' report so if you don't get it within 30 seconds of running the report, you can cancel out of it, remove that memory chip and install the first one you removed.

The second memory chip should generate that report and that is the one you will have to replace, or you can continue to run the notebook with only 1 x 8 GB if memory,

Below is the link to the service manual:

c06248787.pdf (hp.com)

Otherwise, you can just replace both chips with new ones.

This should be a supported 8 GB memory chip for your PC:

It will run at 2400 MHz like the DDR4-2666 MHz memory chip that HP installed does.

Crucial 8GB DDR4-3200 SODIMM | CT8G4SFRA32A | Crucial.com

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Your notebook has 2 x 8 GB of memory.

HP Pavilion - 15-cw1001nx Product Specifications | HP® Support

One of the two memory chips needs to be replaced and the only way that I know of to figure out which one is no good is to remove one of the two memory chips and run the memory test with only one of the memory chips installed.

You saw how fast that Windows memory test reports that 'The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer's memory and detected hardware errors. To identify and repair these problems, contact the computer manufacturer' report so if you don't get it within 30 seconds of running the report, you can cancel out of it, remove that memory chip and install the first one you removed.

The second memory chip should generate that report and that is the one you will have to replace, or you can continue to run the notebook with only 1 x 8 GB if memory,

Below is the link to the service manual:

c06248787.pdf (hp.com)

Otherwise, you can just replace both chips with new ones.

This should be a supported 8 GB memory chip for your PC:

It will run at 2400 MHz like the DDR4-2666 MHz memory chip that HP installed does.

Crucial 8GB DDR4-3200 SODIMM | CT8G4SFRA32A | Crucial.com

HP Recommended

Thank you for the solution 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.