Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion Power Laptop 15-cb0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am inquiring as to why all of a sudden my laptop's backlight stopped working.  I usually would press the f5 key and it would come on, but it just stopped.  I have tried all of the fixes i could find online to no avail. Please help.  

HP Pavilion Power Laptop 15-cb0xx

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

HI @Granster,

Welcome to the HP Community forum!

If you have access to an external display or HDTV, use the HDMI port to connect it.

Press the power button and immediately press the  F2 key to access the UEFI diagnostics tests.

Go to component tests and test the display.

Let us know what your results are.

With the display connected, do you see everything normal in Windows 10?

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Oh my mistake, i did not clarify. In my original post its my keyboard backlight that is not working.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the clarification.

Did this start after an update? If what I suggested in the next sentence does not resolve the issue, reinstalling the chipset driver package may help

With notebooks which have the backlit keyboard, the backlight can be turned on by tapping the F5 key, which has an icon that looks a bit like a keyboard with three strikes to the upper left.

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/tech-takes/turn-keyboard-lighting-on-off

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.