Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Note from moderators: this message was originally posted in another topic, but it was moved to a new one to give more visibility for volunteers that help customers in the Community.

Original topic URL: New HP Envy keyboard randomly stops working - HP Support Community - 8859630

Reply:

Exact same issue on a HP Envy 17 cr0xxx. Mouse pad works, can disable cameras, power button works. Numlock and alpha numeric keyboard lock down. Frustrating issue. 

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I ended up doing a full factory reset, and so far I have not had my keyboard shut down again. I'm slooooowly reverting to my preferred settings and redownloading my applications so I can hopefully catch and pinpoint the issue if either a setting or an application was the thing causing this.

edit: nvm, still shutting down

HP Recommended

Hi @hansenm17, @ForcedToCreate1,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to assist you.

I see that you are facing an issue with your Laptop keyboard.

Kindly refer to the steps on this link and let me know if that fixes the issue.

Also, Update the BIOS for your PC by clicking on the link.

Make sure you keep only the charger plugged in while updating the BIOS for your PC.

Click on the + sign next to BIOS and then download the file.

Open the file and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Irwin6

HP Support

Irwin6
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I have already verified BIOS, I will attempt the driver uninstall/install, and let you know if it works.

HP Recommended

Hi @hansenm17,

I am sorry to hear that the above steps did not help much.

This issue might require one-on-one interaction to fix it.

I've sent you a private message with the instructions. In order to access your private messages, Click the Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link

Take care and have a great day ahead!

Irwin6

HP Support

Irwin6
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

So initially I found a hidden Keyboard driver and had thought that worked after uninstalling and rebooting. A few days later the issue returned. I have noticed now, and tested, the keyboard locks up after hitting the up or down arrow keys in succession. I realized this as I was using them to scroll webpages and suddenly the webpages stopped responding. IN the past I would then just go to the mouse to scroll not thinking, after finishing reading  whatever it was I was researching I would then go to type and nothing worked. Today I did it again and realized that the up and down arrow keys I was using had suddenly stopped working. I then went to type to see if the keyboard was working and it was not. I have been able to reproduce the problem. I have also tried long holding right shift to unlock the keyboard just in case this was some sort of "sticky key" setting and that also does not release the keyboard function.

HP Recommended

I've noticed it going down while using the up and down keys as well!! It's mostly shut down while I was reading, and thus primarily using those keys, but as I couldn't find anyone else talking about having issues with those keys I thought I was wrong in thinking it might be that. I haven't tested for reproducibility. God this is annoying.

HP Recommended

Hi @hansenm17,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I understand you are facing a keyboard issue with your HP Envy 17 cr0xxx.  Keyboard issue. Not to worry I will help you to get a resolution to resolve the issue.

Please try the following Troubleshoots steps. 

1.    Turn off the Unit.

2.    Disconnect the AC adapter.

3.    Remove any discs from the disc drive.

4.    Remove memory cards from the card reader slot.

5.    Disconnect all nonessential peripheral devices, such as printers, scanners, external hard drives, and USB flash drives.

6.    Disconnect the AC adapter press and hold the power button for approximately 15 seconds.

7.    Reconnect the AC adapter, and then turn on the computer.

Step 2

Turn off the unit and please press and hold the Windows key + letter B key and the power button together for 30 seconds after 30 seconds, 1st release the power button but keep holding the Windows key and B key for ten more seconds and then release these two keys If done correctly, you will see the display flashing once. Please attempt it thrice as this step and Restart the unit

Step3

The unit has to be turned off, Press Win+ V while holding these two keys then Press the Power button, continue to hold all three keys for 30 seconds and then release the Power button first and then release these two keys Please attempt it thrice  and then you may get a Pop-Up CMOS Check and it will restart the unit 

Even if you don't get a Pop-up restart the unit manually after 3 attempts.

To assist better:

While you respond to that please try the below steps:

Uninstall drivers on Device Manager

1 Open device manage to Uninstall drivers on Device Manager

2. Open Start.

3. Search for Device Manager and click the top result to open the app.

4. Expand the category with the device driver to remove.

5. Right-click the keyboard device and select the Uninstall device option.

6. Click the Uninstall button. Once you complete the steps, the driver will be entirely removed from the computer.

Restart the unit

Update the BIOS & Keyboard drivers to resolve this issue

• Here's the link to download and install the above updates: Click here

If the issue persists, then please follow the steps mentioned in this document: HP PCs - Testing for hardware failures in Windows 10

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

@Gaya1239 what are the steps? ;_;

HP Recommended

Well when you aren't busy give it a shot. Pull up any web page and use the up down arrow keys to see what happens. I have essentially remapped my keys to be non-responsive and have not had the problem since. I could reproduce the error every time. It is annoying as I am used to using arrow keys (long time coder and gamer) so they are ingrained in my typing habits.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.