Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Omen 15-ce0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi 
I just bought a freshly released Omen 15'' and I am confused as to whether or not this laptop has Thunderbolt 3 support after all (product 15-ce008ca).

In the HP store,  Thunderbolt 3 is listed for the said model:
1.PNG

However, the logo that is directly near the only USB type C port that is on the machine is the following:

Capture.PNG

According to the manual, Thunderbolt would rather be indicated by this:

Capture2.PNG

Is this port Thunderbolt 3 or not after all?
I went to the store (Best Buy) and they told me the thunderbolt port was actually the mini display port (which is clearly wrong - thunderbolt 1 and 2 from Apple was using mDP, but TB3 is over USB-C).

I called HP tech support and the person told me to ignore the manual since it is a general manual covering many models, and that my USB-C port was almost certainly a Thunderbolt port.

How can I know that for sure? I do not have a TB peripheral yet to test it with. 

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @thrice23,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I see from the post that you are looking for more information regarding the thunderbolt support on your new HP Omen notebook. Don't worry I'll be really glad to help you with this,

After reviewing your post, I did go through the Product specifications found that that the external port available on your PC is 1 HDMI; 1 headphone/microphone combo; 1 Mini DisplayPort™; 1 RJ-45; 1 Thunderbolt™ 3 (Data Transfer up to 40 Gb/s, DP1.2, HP Sleep and Charge); 3 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (1 HP Sleep and Charge)

After which, I did go through the Maintenance and Service guide, for your information, please scroll down to page number 6. Chapter 2 External Component identification, please look for the Left Side illustration. Now using this information please look on the PC for the port available.

If it's USB 3.x SuperSpeed port with HP Sleep and Charge - It's the Thunderbolt 3

I hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Jeet and thank you for taking the time to respond, it is appreciated.

The icon next to my USB-C port corresponds to the 2nd one on your post's attached image.

It seems to me that if my port was truly Thunderbolt, the icon on the product should have been the 4th one. That is the standardized icon for Thunderbolt.

However the product specification lists a Thunderbolt port for my exact model. Unless this is an error in the description, I am tempted to think I have it. However I have nothing to test it.

This will be a bit far fetched, but I went to the HP online store (US), and found some interestings things. First of all the Thunderbolt 3 port is an optional feature on the new Omen line. If the graphics card is GTX 1060 then it seems Thunderbolt is standard. 

pouet.PNG

But, there is the following customization that is possible:

pouet2.PNG

You can, for an additionnal 20$ get an upgraded WebCam and TB3.
I looked in my device manager, and I do have the FHD IR Camera.  So I suppose I may have the TB3 that comes with it.

However, for some reason the icon on my port does not fit the description.

Is there another way, by veriyfing drivers perhaps, that I do have the port?

Thanks!
Vince

HP Recommended

Hi @thrice23,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

After going through the product specifications, I definitely feel that that you have a Thunderbolt™ 3 port on your computer. 

For more assistance, please follow this link: Click here  (This is a third party link. Please do not click on any unnecessary ad, image, popup or link or anywhere else as these are third party links meant only for viewing information and following instructions relevant to the actual issue).

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Keep me posted,
If the information I've provided was helpful, 
give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 
that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
hey what is that upgrade of 20$ is it for those laptops that runs on gtx 1050 or 1050ti so by that upgrade they can get thunderbolt 3 support?????
HP Recommended

Hi Vince,

I have the exact same symbol on my USB type C port same as your's.

Did you get chance to validated if its indeed Thunderbolt 3 enabled.

Please let me know if there is any way to test it .

Regards,

Hardik

HP Recommended

Hi Hardik

I haven't had the chance to connect any thunderbolt device yet.

I am not aware of any way to test it unless you have access to a thunderbolt device.

Good luck

Vincent

HP Recommended

Testing for Thunderbolt 3 capability can be quite difficult if you don't have a Thunderbolt device to hand, as there are not necessarily any Thunderbolt devices in the Device Manager or a Thunderbolt item in the system tray until a Thunderbolt device is connected. Worse still, some Thunderbolt devices - such as HP's Thunderbolt Dock G2 - fall back to a USB-C only mode if connected to a system that lacks Thunderbolt support.

One place you could look is in the BIOS configuration screens - is there any mention of Thunderbolt there, such as a Thunderbolt security option? If so, that is strongly suggestive that the system does have Thunderbolt support, but is not necessarily conclusive.

HP Recommended

I have been searching for the same thing.

Unfortunately, you do not have the 40GB/s thunderbolt port; you have the 10GB/s USB 3.1 (powered) port.

I have the same issue on my HP Omen 15-dc0003na.

The answer is actually in the manual.  It shows two pictures of the rear ports that, at first glance seem identical.  The difference is that the port in question (6) either has a USB symbol with a charge symbol next to it (that's the powered USB 3.1 port) or the simple thunderbolt symbol which has a little arrowed end.

Only question now is whether it can be upgraded after sales.  I think that by the time I need a better GPU, I will probably buy a newer laptop with an internally connected, and therefore much faster, GPU.

I hope this has resolved the question.  Sorry it is disappointing.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.