Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN 16.1 inch Gaming Laptop PC 16-b1000 (4Z7T3AV)

I have an OMEN 16-b1001na and I am looking to upgrade the RAM and SSD.

My plan is to install a Samsung 990 PRO 1TB/2TB, mirroring everything from stock SSD onto the Samsung and then using stock SSD as spare space. I believe both PCIe slots are 4.0 and can handle latest M.2. SSDs (correct me if I'm wrong please). 

I was also looking to upgrade the stock 2x8GB DDR5-4800Mhz RAM. I was thinking of buying Corsair Vengeance 2x16gb DDR5-5200Mhz or 5600Mhz (XMP 3.0 compatible). Would these higher frequencies be compatible with the laptop's motherboard? Can the laptop's motherboard use Intel XMP 3.0?

I appreciate any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The Samsung Pro M.2 SSD products you ask about are compatible with your laptop.

The Corsair Vengance memory, on the other hand does not have the correct CL timing value. The Corsair modules may not work in your laptop. I suggest cloning to the SSD.

The bandwidth is not a problem since the module will drop its bandwidth down to the default 4800 Mhz.

You would be better off with the Crucial DDR5-5600 • CL=46 • Non-ECC • SODIMM • 262-pins • 1.1V • 1Rx8 based • PC5-44800. It has guaranteed compatibility with your laptop.

https://uk.crucial.com/memory/ddr5/ct2k16g56c46s5

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The Samsung Pro M.2 SSD products you ask about are compatible with your laptop.

The Corsair Vengance memory, on the other hand does not have the correct CL timing value. The Corsair modules may not work in your laptop. I suggest cloning to the SSD.

The bandwidth is not a problem since the module will drop its bandwidth down to the default 4800 Mhz.

You would be better off with the Crucial DDR5-5600 • CL=46 • Non-ECC • SODIMM • 262-pins • 1.1V • 1Rx8 based • PC5-44800. It has guaranteed compatibility with your laptop.

https://uk.crucial.com/memory/ddr5/ct2k16g56c46s5

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi!

We have discovered that the second slot on these systems is actually (still) Gen3.....

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Need-to-upgrade-HP-OMEN-16-b00...

HP Recommended

Samsung 990 Pro SSD is backwards compatible with Gen3 right? 

Edit: Yes it is, but it will be slower. Further question, how much slower will the Samsung 990 Pro be in a Gen3 slot?

HP Recommended

Yes. This makes no difference to what you're planning or the good advice you got. Just wanted to set you straight as you requested in your original post....

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Yes. Gen 4 is a downwards compatible standard. It works with previous generations

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.