Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 14 Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I push an SD card into the built-in card reader slot, the information from the card DOES show up.   However, when I attempt to eject the SD card, the normal process of pushing the card gently in and having it spring out does not work.   I had to even use a pair of tweezers to grasp the edge of the SD card and pull hard.   (Yes, I had also gone through the "eject SD card" sequence so it wasn't running data at the time.)

So, I got a REPLACEMENT laptop for this, and the SAME THING happened to the replacement that just arrived this weekend.   I'm supposed to send back the first laptop, and waiting for the free shipping packaging, so now I have 2 of this model.   Why send back the one I've got all set up if this is a problem of this particular model, right?

When I contacted HP about this on 5/27/2020, they acknowledged it to be a defect (I'm not sure the agents are all that adept at problem solving...)    That's why I ordered a replacement.   Now I have 2 HP 14's that do not have an SD card spring eject, so I wonder if it's SUPPOSED to be that way.   THANKS!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @JOLINARDI

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

FYI - I STILL haven't gotten any resolution on this SD card slot issue!    Weird.   Nobody seems to know if it's a defect or a design flaw.   

HP Recommended

@JOLINARDI
I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Let's hope HP can really help this time, this has been going on since mid May?   

I have ordered another replacement (this will be #3 of the same model) to see if that works.   I sent #2 back to seller for refund, too, and we'll see if #3 has the SAME SD card slot ejection issue.   

So far, HP's only "solution" is to send #1 in for repairs.    I don't want a brand new computer that has to be repaired, thus the returns/refunds with the seller.

Thanks,

JoAnne

HP Recommended
This issue has not been resolved, see the response I wrote to HP today.   
I am very disappointed, to say the least.
--------
07-04-2020

Well, George SoMe,

I have bad news, I got the 3rd laptop out and guess what?    The exact same thing with the SD card NOT ejecting properly, so I immediately packed it up and it's going back.   3 out of 3 failure, with nobody from HP being able to tell me if this is the way it's SUPPOSED to happen.    No one at HP knows their own products, apparently.   Any phone calls suggested said to send it in for repair, that's ridiculous to tell me when it's happened 3 out of 3 times.   LOL

Oh, well!    I sure tried.   I got out my little old slow HP 11.6" pavillion, the SD card pop out ejection feature works even when the laptop is not powered up, so it's a design defect.  

Something else I've noticed, and I took pix, that on this HP14, when the SD card is in the slot, it's not as far into the body of the laptop as on the HP11 (or other devices, like card readers, etc.  It sticks out more (as it's being properly read, so that's not the issue.)  Perhaps this means that this tiny bit of "sticking out" is supposed to be so you fumble to grab it and just pull with the tips of your fingers or a pair of tweezers.   It's sure inconvenient, not like EVERY OTHER SD CARD READER I'VE EVER USED.   (An old Toshiba, my Canon cameras, my old HP11, on and on.)

So, going start the shopping over again, and probably a different brand, since this experience with HP tech, all levels of escalation, has been poor.    I'm sorry no one was able to handle the issue.

Thanks, wish this had worked out.

JoAnne Linardi

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.