Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 470 G4 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Probook 470 G4, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, C drive is nearly full. The drive is a SanDisk SD8SN8U-256G-1006 that is a M2. form factor and is 256GB. I have moved many folders to a new Crucial 2TB SATA drive but still have only 5GB left on the boot C drive. I know this laptop is technically obsolete, but with 32Gb memory and a SATA D drive its performance is excellent.

The Crucial site recons their M2 SSE drives are not compatible and HP support simply say this is an obsolete laptop.

Are there any thoughts about how to upgrade to presumably a larger M2. drive?

Thanks,

Robert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That is incorrect information. There is no capacity limit to the drive.

Back when it was sold, HP provided the 470 G4 only with a 256GB drive so that's what they have validated it against.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello.

Your Sandisk drive is a SATA drive in a M.2 2280 form factor. (22 is the width, 80 is the length in millimetres)

Crucial does not seem to manufacture M.2 SATA drives anymore. They are focused on the modern NVMe drives, because laptop manufacturers have all moved to the much faster NVMe storage. SATA drives are a dying breed.

Nevertheless, Western Digital still produces M.2 SATA drives.

WD Blue SATA SSD M.2 2280 and WD Blue SA510 SATA SSD M.2 2280 would both be fine choices.

You can also find other models from other manufacturers. As long as it is a SATA drive with 2280 form factor.

HP Recommended

Thank you J, that is helpful. I spotted elsewhere on this community site that the 470G4 has a maximum m.2 capacity of 256GB. Do you think that is correct?

HP Recommended

That is incorrect information. There is no capacity limit to the drive.

Back when it was sold, HP provided the 470 G4 only with a 256GB drive so that's what they have validated it against.

HP Recommended

Thanks J. That is a great help.

Robert

HP Recommended

My upgrade to a WD 1TB  M.2 SATA system drive went well. Thanks for your input

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.