Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Stream 11-ak0000 Laptop PC (8QY67AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Stream 11-AK0020na notebook and am trying to upgrade to Windows 11 from Windows 10. In doing this, it suggests that I need more free internal storage than I have. I wish to increase the internal storage. What do I need to do ?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

If it has the 32 gig eMMC storage there is nothing to be done. It's soldered to the board. The only way to have Windows 11 is going to be a wipe of Windows 10 and a clean new install of 11. 

HP Recommended

Hi, @Rich235 

From the info I could find on your notebook's specs, it comes with a 64 GB eMMC drive.

The only suggestions I can offer are these:

1. Install the free Wise Disk Cleaner which is very good at deleting unnecessary files.

Wise Disk Cleaner - Free Disk Cleanup and Defrag Tool (wisecleaner.com)

I use it on all of my PC's.

I set the program up to do the common cleaning and advanced cleaning simultaneously.

On the right side of the program window there is a little box to check to enable Advanced cleaning at the same time.

See my screenshot:

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1657898134071.png

After that runs, run the Slimming system option which deletes other unnecessary files.

See my screenshot.  I only check the first two options.

Paul_Tikkanen_1-1657898221050.png

After you run the Wise disk cleaner, go to your Windows administrative tools folder and run the Windows disk cleanup utility.

After the program arrives at the disk cleanup Window, select the Cleanup system files box on the lower left side of the window.   See my screenshot:

Paul_Tikkanen_2-1657898351201.png

Then the program will run again and when you get to the window, check all of the boxes to delete the files.

See my screenshot.

Paul_Tikkanen_3-1657898420967.png

I just ran this utility on Monday, and you can see that just the Windows Update Cleanup line has over 2 GB of unnecessary files.

That will be about the best you can do, because the drive itself cannot be upgraded.

If you have a lot of pictures on the drive, I suggest you invest in a SD card and leave that plugged in at all times and use that to store your files.

That's what I do on my HP Stream 11 which as a 64 GB eMMC drive.

It runs W11 just fine.

Run those two utilities once a week and you should be able to keep the junk files at a minimum.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.