Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-bl012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I have an HP Spectre x 360 15.6" laptop model Convertible 15-bl0XX.   Product number Z4Z35UAR#ABA

It has a 1TB SSD.  I have 16GB ram.  I need an upgrade to 2TB.  I have read a previous post here where the following SSD was suggested as being compatible:  

Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB.  

I have read reviews on this SSD.  There are complaints on other forums of this drive failing as well as using high power consumption.  

There are some mentions of the Crucial brand being better. I know there are different 2TB models as well to consider.  I am open to suggestions regarding what is the best 2TB upgrade SSD for my laptop?  Any brand and model thanks.  I am almost out of memory at need to replace it soon!!  

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I don't see any reason why a 2 TB NVMe SSD wouldn't work in a PC with an Intel 7th gen core processor.

HP probably just didn't offer the 2 TB drives in the 15-bl0xx model series.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi:

I think the Crucial 2 TB drive would be a very good option.

Since your notebook's M.2 slot is only PCIe Gen 3.0, this would be the one I recommend.

Crucial P3 2TB PCIe M.2 2280 SSD | CT2000P3SSD8 | Crucial.com

If you plan on moving the drive to a newer PC in the future that supports PCIe Gen 4.0 SSDs, you may want to opt for the Samsung 980 Pro or newer Samsung 990 Pro drives (run cooler than the older 970) which will cost considerably more, or either of these Crucial drives:

Crucial T500 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2 SSD | CT2000T500SSD8 | Crucial.com

Crucial P3 Plus 2TB PCIe M.2 2280 SSD | CT2000P3PSSD8 | Crucial.com

Below is the link to the service manual:

c05357610.pdf (hp.com)

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information.  The Service Manual that I downloaded in the link you provided - page 39, mentions the 2TB SSD option for 8th Generation Intell Core Processors.  My Spectre x 360 is a 7th generation.  Am I still able to get a 2TB SSD or is that it?  

I would prefer to choose the Crucial P3 Plus since the price is similar to the Crucial P3 and I can move it to a newer PC in the future (or sell as is).  But will hold off to make sure my Gen 7 processor is capable of the upgrade.  

Thanks again.  

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I don't see any reason why a 2 TB NVMe SSD wouldn't work in a PC with an Intel 7th gen core processor.

HP probably just didn't offer the 2 TB drives in the 15-bl0xx model series.

HP Recommended

I have just received my Crucial P3 Plus 2TB SSD card.  I will do a last backup of my currently installed 1TB SSD card onto an external USB 1TB portable hard drive.  

My concern is (from reading some online comments on YouTube tutorials to replace the SSD card) is that some have had issues that the laptop has failed to boot up.  I understand that Windows OS came pre-installed with the HP x 360 - having its own bootable drive.  I am assuming that this bootable drive is in the original 1TB SSD card? And if so, will that drive be already backed up onto my external 1TB external hard drive?  Or is there something I should know about first?  I have read about cloning drives.  Maybe there is something specific I need to do?  Or maybe I need to purchase an external Windows OS licence for the new drive?  Would appreciate some additional info before I go ahead with this.  Thanks again. 

HP Recommended

I would back up my files onto a portable hard drive.

You can use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall Windows, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

You can do that before removing the existing drive.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility.  You will need a 32 GB USB flash drive for this.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Support

You can download the cloud recovery tool from the Microsoft Store:

HP Cloud Recovery Tool - Microsoft Apps

You can clone the drive using trial cloning software such as Macrium Reflect.

Macrium Reflect Free Trials

Cloning the drive will bring all of the existing drive's contents to the new one, and it should work exactly like the new one is now.

The only thing is, you need to set the cloning software's menu to clone from a smaller drive to a larger one.

If you fail to do that, you will only clone 1 TB over and there will be a huge amount of unused space on the 2 TB drive.

To clone a NVMe drive you will also have to purchase a USB 3/USB-C to NVMe enclosure to temporarily house the new drive you want to clone to.  Something like this:

Amazon.com: SSK Aluminum M.2 NVME SATA SSD Enclosure Adapter, USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) to NVME PCI-E ...

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help you with cloning that because I always clean install Windows on new drives and then reinstall my personal files and any programs I need.  It's easier for me to do it that way.

I suggest you start a new topic on that if you don't want to clean install Windows on the new drive, or use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive.

Macrium Reflect also has tutorials for cloning disks.

The Windows product key is encrypted in your PC's BIOS so no matter what option you choose, there will be no need to purchase a new license or product key for Windows.

HP Recommended

Hello.  I have just attempted to swap the 1TB NVME SSD card with the new Crucial P3 Plus 2TB I purchased, that you recommended.  The card is incompatible with the port.  The 1TB card has two grooves on the end whereas the 2TB only has one and therefore is blocked from being inserted as the grooves bypass the guards.  

I have no idea if there is a way to remove that component and replace it with one to allow the new card to be inserted.  

Now I do not know what to do?  I doubt I can get a refund as the seal on the SSD box had to be broken.  Cost me $188.

Can you please advise?  

20240416_212826.jpg

HP Recommended

Doesn't the SSD port only have one key in it?

It shouldn't have two keys.

I can only go by what chapter 1 of the service manual indicated and that is the notebook supported NVMe SSD's and the drive you removed was a SATA one, not NVMe.

HP Recommended

Alas, the card  I removed as shown in the photo is a SATA SSD and the port definitely has two key ports channels.  So physically cannot insert the NVME single key SSD into the slot.   

We both learnt something anyway that my model is therefore not upgradeable. I had no idea about storage cards.  I do now!  My laptop model is around 2017.  The user manual you provided in the link shows an SSD card image on page 39 with two gates. 

I have just processed the return via Amazon and will be getting  a full refund so no major drama. 

Thanks for your help anyway.  Looks like my laptop therefore cannot be upgraded beyond the 1TB SSD installed.  

I will have to rely on the 2TB external hard drive until I replace my laptop in the future.

UPDATED - CARD DOES FIT.  HAD IT UPSIDE DOWN. SORRY.  

HP Recommended

I'm glad you were able to get a refund, but I still don't understand about the slot.

I have never come across any HP notebook that has a SATA M.2 drive that actually has a slot with two keys that would prevent a drive with a single key from installing in the slot.

People replace those two notch drives all the time as long as they support a NVMe SSD.

If you want a 2 TB SATA drive like the one you have, they are available...

Amazon.com: Western Digital 2TB WD Blue SA510 SATA Internal Solid State Drive SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s,...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.