Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 - 15-cn0007nn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can i upgrade my laptop HP ENVY x360 - 15-cn0007nn(intel optane M.2) with Samsung 980 PRO 1TB M.2 (MZ-V8P1T0BW).

Does the memory change with that of Intel Optane?

if it is not suitable with which then it will be most appropriate to replace it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @slubchev 

Your notebook's M.2 slot is PCIe gen 3, so the 980 pro would not run at its maximum rated speed.

Intel® Core™ i5-8250U Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)

Since you have to remove the Intel Optane memory to install the NVMe SSD you have to follow a procedure to properly remove it.

See the last two sections at the link below...

HP PCs - Installing and Using Intel Optane | HP® Customer Support

The Intel Optane memory is only used to accelerate the hard drive.

The notebook's physical memory amount will not be reduced if you remove the Intel Optane memory.

I am pretty sure you will need to remove Windows from the 2.5" drive or the notebook will always want to boot from that drive first and not the SSD.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I'm not sure if the M.2 slot is Gen3 or Gen4. If it is only Gen3 than you won't get the full benefit of the 980 Pro and it would be better to go with an Evo 970 Plus to save money.

HP Recommended

Hi, @slubchev 

Your notebook's M.2 slot is PCIe gen 3, so the 980 pro would not run at its maximum rated speed.

Intel® Core™ i5-8250U Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)

Since you have to remove the Intel Optane memory to install the NVMe SSD you have to follow a procedure to properly remove it.

See the last two sections at the link below...

HP PCs - Installing and Using Intel Optane | HP® Customer Support

The Intel Optane memory is only used to accelerate the hard drive.

The notebook's physical memory amount will not be reduced if you remove the Intel Optane memory.

I am pretty sure you will need to remove Windows from the 2.5" drive or the notebook will always want to boot from that drive first and not the SSD.

HP Recommended

How can you tell if М.2 slots they generation 3 or generation 4?

HP Recommended

I think you can find out the generation of the M.2 slot using HWiNFO.

HP Recommended

Look at the specs I posted for your notebook's processor.

They all report the PCIe generation...yours is 3.0.

Expansion Options
PCI Express Revision 3.0

PCI Express Configurations 

1x4, 2x2, 1x2+2x1 and 4x1
Max # of PCI Express Lanes 12
HP Recommended

Много благодаря.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.