Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
PAVILION 14
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

can someone tell me what is the differences between factory reset and system recovery?

which one will remove malware from machine?

i already read the HP guides but still not clear. please tell me which one should i use to disinfect my PC.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I hope you have created your back up (copy) of your files.

The picture you show: - click on "Windows Recovery environment" button and your PC will reboot/restart.

It will load the recovery options

Then, follow the instructions from here (skip the F11 option as you will already be there) >> http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=HPSystemRecovery.net&section=ccweb&sfs=tdoc&lc=en&language=e...

- Click on Troubleshoot > Recovery Manager > System Recovery

If this does not work, click on Troubleshoot > Reset your PC

(choose the option to not keep your files but clean install Windows)

- Follow the onscreen instructions

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello @WexyMaxy

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.

Not sure what your malware/virus issues are but if you tell me I might be able to help you fix them.

With regards to your questions:

Windows 8 (8.1) and Windows 10 have 2 options for Recovery and Reset to factory default condition.

Basically they both do the same with small differences.

Windows has a function called Reset this PC which is Microsoft creation and can either reset to factory default by deleting everything and restoring from a clean image or it can preserve user's files and restore other things to default

HP Recovery is basically the same but with more details and is HP overlay over the Microsoft function.

Here are details about your query >> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4130-reset-windows-10-a.html

I recommend you use the "Reset this PC" option with "Remove everything" to ensure malware is gone.

Let me know if this answers your query. Don't hesitate to post again (reply) if you face difficulties.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Do you mean Factory Reset? that one is the best to remove malware?

I already backup all files using Seagate dashboard but i do not know whether it functions samely as the system's way of backup.

HP Recommended

Could you please confirm and explain to me your virus/malware issues ?

Could you confirm and explain in details how exactly are you trying to reset / recover the PC. The word "Factory Reset" is very general description. Let me know exactly what you try to do.

Here is a tutorial which explains how to perform factory reset or Windows reinstallation >> http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=HPSystemRecovery.net&section=ccweb&sfs=tdoc&lc=en

This works for any computers who have Windows OEM - preinstalled on their PC by HP.

I recommend you back up your files manually - copy/paste them to external USB pen drive , to external HDD or to some online Cloud storage drive (e.g. Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc..)

HP Recommended

1) Do i need to copy/paste Downloads section?

The Downloads section, is it really important? As we all know that after do restoration that files are not working anymore. And we need to download back what we have downloaded before. Example Software like Office and VLC player etc...

2) My explanation about malware is i recognised that my CPU  meter suddenly got high up and never jump down as usual. And my RAM became 100% and sometimes only drop 88% and i am using my laptop with hot surfaces like a man with hot fever.

I already scan with Malwarebytes but yes, my Mr. Malrebytes has already bitten by them. And showed nothing happened.

3) What i want to do now is i really do not know how to remove the malware inside my laptop. I confused. Cuz some Hp agent said i should use Recovery and some said just do Factory reset. Which one actually???

4) and what is OEM i do not know anything.

HP Recommended

Hi,

1) You can copy whatever you find applicable and important, and whatever you need.

Some programs you may also download from the Internet after you perform the recovery

2) These symptoms could be caused by virus/malware but could also be caused by tens of other things

However, if you can and are willing to perform factory reset/restore, you can do so, it doesn't hurt and helps with other things , as well

3) If your computer came with Windows preinstalled and had Windows preinstalled when you bought it, follow the dezide tutorial I gave you link above and this will guide you how to perform the recovery/reset

4) OEM - here is more info:

>> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+OEM

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_equipment_manufacturer

Windows who came preloaded by OEM vendor is referred as OEM Windows

HP Recommended

i can't remeber that time when i bought the laptop.

I just remeber that my laptop got no CD of Windows 10 and that Hp selling agent said "Erm...we never give you the original disc, you must do the copy of OS inside USB STICK. And no Office. You must buy Office and the price will goes up bla...bla...bla"

Just like that i can remember. So can you tell me what does it mean??

So now which way should i choose Windows system reset or Windows recovery environment like below:

recovery manager.JPG

HP Recommended

I hope you have created your back up (copy) of your files.

The picture you show: - click on "Windows Recovery environment" button and your PC will reboot/restart.

It will load the recovery options

Then, follow the instructions from here (skip the F11 option as you will already be there) >> http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=HPSystemRecovery.net&section=ccweb&sfs=tdoc&lc=en&language=e...

- Click on Troubleshoot > Recovery Manager > System Recovery

If this does not work, click on Troubleshoot > Reset your PC

(choose the option to not keep your files but clean install Windows)

- Follow the onscreen instructions

HP Recommended

Are you sure this way will remove the malware?

The laptop will be backed as born from the factory?

is it dangerous if i choose Windows system rest?

HP Recommended

@WexyMaxy wrote:

Are you sure this way will remove the malware?  (1)

The laptop will be backed as born from the factory?  (2)

is it dangerous if i choose Windows system rest? (3)

1.  Yes. Practically YES, 100%. On theory - 99%

As mentioned before I am not sure if your issues are caused by malware/virus in the first place but if you currently have some sort of virus or malware infection, the procedure will remove it

2. Yes

3. No

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.