Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 notebook
Microsoft Windows Vista

Laptop not booting up, tried recovery but won’t let me - hard drive extensive test comes up with ‘hard drive short DST check failed’ for HD1 ... failure ID 9u01xq-76m9a2-mfpv6j-60qk03

laptop is about 5 yrs old and wasn’t an expensive one, is it fixable/recoverable? Or more economical to get a new one?  Help!!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

What is the ProdID on the bottom of the notebook?  That happens to also be the product number.

That failure translates to a failure code 303 storage device failure.

If you still have the recovery media, then replacing the hard disk won't be such a big deal.

The problem with recovery of hard disk data is  that it  is never guaranteed to succeed, even by data recovery companies. It is quite expensive to have it the attempt done.

Sourcing a new laptop is likely to be a more pragmatic and more economical and  satisfying solution, if it is within your budget.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hmm that’s what I thought ☹️ Product ID is F9E45EA#ABU

Dont have the original recovery media.... so I guess I’m laptop shopping!

thanks for your speedy response, appreciate the advice. 

HP Recommended

You're welcome.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@Lisa08 wrote:

Hmm that’s what I thought ☹️ Product ID is F9E45EA#ABU

Dont have the original recovery media.... so I guess I’m laptop shopping!

thanks for your speedy response, appreciate the advice. 

If you have files that you need on the hard drive, you can buy a SATA to USB dock and connect hard drive using the dock to a working PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.