Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I came across an HP 15-dy2029ds laptop on an on-line auction.  I want to reset it to factory settings but I can't get to the BIOS so I'm assuming that something like Bitlocker is preventing that.  Is there any way to reset this computer?  Looks like it was previously owned, has an account on it but no way I know of to log in.  I'm assuming it was an Amazon return and they didn't reset the computer before they sent it back.  Am I out of luck or is there a way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Gene:

Glad to have been of assistance.

If you have Bitlocker drive encryption turned off in Windows, it shouldn't be an issue.

If Bitlocker is turned on, the C:\ drive showing in 'This PC' will have an open padlock icon on the drive.

This link explains how to turn off Bitlocker if it is enabled.

How to Disable BitLocker Encryption on Windows 10 and 11 (howtogeek.com)

Cheers,

Paul

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

If you can get login access to Windows, you can use the Bitlocker Management function to export the key to an external files and also to print it off.

But you have to know the Windows login password to do that -- and we are not permitted to assist you in working around that if you do not know it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@Chappster34 

The only suggestion I can offer would be to use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall Windows, the drivers and the software that originally came the PC.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility.  You will need a 32 GB USB flash drive to create the recovery media with.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Customer Support

You can download the software from the Microsoft Store.

HP Cloud Recovery Tool - Microsoft Store Apps

Since you have to use the utility on another PC, you will need to enter the notebook's product number in the tool's search window in order to proceed to make the recovery media. 

Your PC's product number is 552Y3UA#ABA

HP Recommended

Roger that, make sense.  I don't have access to it, I'll just count this one as a loss.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul,

Don't you need to set up the computer to boot off that thumbdrive?  I can access the bios.

Gene

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, you will have to boot from the USB flash drive but you should be able to tap the ESC key as soon as you turn on the notebook to get the boot options menu.

Then select the F9 boot options menu and from that, select the USB recovery drive and press the enter key.

The PC should boot from the USB recovery drive.

If that doesn't work, then I suppose you are out of options.

HP Recommended

Thanks again Paul

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Hopefully, you will be able to factory reset the notebook that way.

HP Recommended

I tried to get into the BIOS a number of times and must not have been doing it correctly.  I was able to get into using the ESC key and a startup menu appeared and it gave me this;

F1 - Sys. Info.
F2 - Sys. Diags.

F3 - Boot Menu

F10- BIOS Setup

F11 System Recovery

I"ll download everything you gave me, read through it and give it a try. 

Thanks again!

Gene

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Gene.

The boot options menu is F3?

I've never heard of that before.

It's always been F9.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.