Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Mini 1000

I had a  computer with Windows XP professional on it but it was locked so I did a clean install with what I thought was the same OS but it came out to be windows 7 professional and now internet explorer won't work. Said something about a certificate or something. HELP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Internet explorer has been retired by Microsoft.

Download Microsoft Edge or use Google Chrome.

There should be a standalone Google Chrome installer you can download from another PC, copy to a USB flash drive and install it on your notebook that way.

Download & install Google Chrome - Computer - Google Chrome Help

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Internet explorer has been retired by Microsoft.

Download Microsoft Edge or use Google Chrome.

There should be a standalone Google Chrome installer you can download from another PC, copy to a USB flash drive and install it on your notebook that way.

Download & install Google Chrome - Computer - Google Chrome Help

HP Recommended

I downloaded Google Chrome from internet and discovered that it didn't have option for extensions. Where can I find a more current Google Chrome?? Thank you

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help you with that,  and recommend that you start a new topic. 

It is my understanding that Google Chrome automatically installs the latest version of the browser that is supported by the operating system the PC is running. 

HP Recommended

You know...I have an idea...

Now that you have a working browser, install Microsoft Edge for W7 and see if that is more recent than the version of Google Chrome that is installed.

Edge does automatic updates in W10 and W11 and is built on the Chrome platform...

Hopefully, it will be a better option for you.

Get to Know Microsoft Edge

HP Recommended

I don't know if it will run with windows 7 but I'll give Microsoft Edge a try. Thanks

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I've installed MS Edge on W7 and it works fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.