Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Did this two weeks ago on my Stream.  Worked fine. Many thanks. Haven't missed the HP software, but maybe will later.  Not working today on my husband's Stream.  

Really hating having a full time job as Microsoft updater.  Literally spent dozens of hour on this.  Why if Microsoft knows what I'm having for breakfast they can't give me an error code in english or instructions directly rather than sending me back and forth from screen to website and then STILL can't give me a corrective?

HP- why is this happening?

HP Recommended

Absolutely! Spot on. I resemble your remarks!

We Stream owners (and other similar 32Gb HDD m/c) will hit a problem with the updates.

I'm only just learning - learnt - learned - some of what is going on here. (See my other posts).

It's not actually rocket science but it's hard to dig out the truth. 

Why is it too much to expect that HP or MS would give us a "Procedure" to follow on this? Is it the money that "beware of those posing as HP/MS engineers" are able to make from our misery? Have you had those warnings from HP?

UFEI / BIOS Now there's a smudged area. The BIOS (which HP recently had me update), is the Basic Input-Output System.

It's the only brains you machine has without software being loaded. It's actually FIRMWARE. It can be altered but it's non volatile and there to get you started. It must have a primary BOOT LOADER

However, in the meantime there is a new kid on the block callled UEFI. At least in part - it's a Partition on your 32Gb  C:\ disk taking up a little of your lost space along with the Recovery Partition. WINdows used to see each  Partition as seperate disk. Not so sure it does now. Those two are "hidden" but you can see the areas in Disk Manager.

UEFI (I'm looking it up now) is your new BIOS - well that's the word I have. However I am will to bet that you still need that BIOS because at the very least it sets the boot order. "Where do I go for further instructions?"  Oh that bootable memory stick - and NOT the MS WIN installed on  your machine. Geddit?

Now I'm not sure if this is allowed but here's an excellent link for all kinds of questions & answers. Never been a problem using this site but be careful with the adverts because they are "chancers" hoping to get your currency. Just read it and understand it. Pass over the adverts - don't give any info you really don't want "out there."

https://www.howtogeek.com/175649/what-you-need-to-know-about-using-uefi-instead-of-the-bios/

You can get to here via the above or go directly. I'd say do both and read it all carefully.

https://www.howtogeek.com/56958/

Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) & UNIVERSAL EFI gives you UEFI - That's all I'm telling you! Read the burb and then I'll be asking you!

ATB - keep the faith - HP can be good. eMMc memory can be better than mechanical disk. It's rugged and doesn't need a fan - which is more wasted energy from your battery.  The product is good but the chosen OS is poor. Try UBUNTU and be my guinea pig! I am trying - but still can't get the Wi-Fi working. 

No and I never will if I stay on this site. I need the UB site. 

Good luck and I hope I have at least stimulated you as much as I have me. Please do NOT cry!

Rgds

BerryG

HP Recommended

@BerryGwrote:

Absolutely! Spot on. I resemble your remarks!

We Stream owners (and other similar 32Gb HDD m/c) will hit a problem with the updates.

I'm only just learning - learnt - learned - some of what is going on here. (See my other posts).

It's not actually rocket science but it's hard to dig out the truth. 

Why is it too much to expect that HP or MS would give us a "Procedure" to follow on this? Is it the money that "beware of those posing as HP/MS engineers" are able to make from our misery? Have you had those warnings from HP?

UFEI / BIOS Now there's a smudged area. The BIOS (which HP recently had me update), is the Basic Input-Output System.

It's the only brains you machine has without software being loaded. It's actually FIRMWARE. It can be altered but it's non volatile and there to get you started. It must have a primary BOOT LOADER

However, in the meantime there is a new kid on the block callled UEFI. At least in part - it's a Partition on your 32Gb  C:\ disk taking up a little of your lost space along with the Recovery Partition. WINdows used to see each  Partition as seperate disk. Not so sure it does now. Those two are "hidden" but you can see the areas in Disk Manager.

UEFI (I'm looking it up now) is your new BIOS - well that's the word I have. However I am will to bet that you still need that BIOS because at the very least it sets the boot order. "Where do I go for further instructions?"  Oh that bootable memory stick - and NOT the MS WIN installed on  your machine. Geddit?

Now I'm not sure if this is allowed but here's an excellent link for all kinds of questions & answers. Never been a problem using this site but be careful with the adverts because they are "chancers" hoping to get your currency. Just read it and understand it. Pass over the adverts - don't give any info you really don't want "out there."

https://www.howtogeek.com/175649/what-you-need-to-know-about-using-uefi-instead-of-the-bios/

You can get to here via the above or go directly. I'd say do both and read it all carefully.

https://www.howtogeek.com/56958/

Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) & UNIVERSAL EFI gives you UEFI - That's all I'm telling you! Read the burb and then I'll be asking you!

ATB - keep the faith - HP can be good. eMMc memory can be better than mechanical disk. It's rugged and doesn't need a fan - which is more wasted energy from your battery.  The product is good but the chosen OS is poor. Try UBUNTU and be my guinea pig! I am trying - but still can't get the Wi-Fi working. 

No and I never will if I stay on this site. I need the UB site. 

Good luck and I hope I have at least stimulated you as much as I have me. Please do NOT cry!

Rgds

BerryG

BIOS is the acronym used because people are used to it.

There is no BIOS on your laptop, BerryG !

And yes, there is a EFI partition on the  hard drive. It is needed by the UEFI. 

Clear enough?

HP Recommended

@BeenBefudled

Which process did you use on your Stream and now fails on your hubby's Stream? There are several mentioned in this thread so just need a little clarification on which process and at what point it fails.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Okay what I did was create the disk image Wndows 10 on a USB drive I had sitting around, and I was able to use it to boot my Stream, blow away the old disk partitions and guess what?  i have 15 gigs free now on the C drive and went into the settings so all of the programs I install will go on the SD drive.  The only thing i had to do was download the SD card reader driver - but I was up and running again within an hour easy. 

I now love this computer and don't plan on doing anything with it other than surfing the web while watching TV.

HP Recommended

@harleycodr

Thanks for posting with good results. With the 15gb of free space you should be fine for the next big update coming out in the next month or so and get it with no problems.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

OK thank you for that clarification. I am assembling the reality of this all the while.

So no BIOS - only UEFI & GPT   Now I see that UEFI partition in the main disk which also has a partition called C:\ which is where WIN16 is "installed"  Yes and another Partition for the Recovery - yes?

There is a very good post here somewhere - which if only I could get to it I will acknowledge as being the way to go.

Just in case I can't the bones of it are as follows.

Get a clean USB memory stick. (16Gb would be good)

Download from MS the correct ISO file for your machine. They have an index.

Download and deploy Rufus to make you a bootable drive using this ISO file

Alter the boot sequence in the BIOS or UEFI so that the USB port appears BEFORE drive C:\ (First)

Save it and reboot to see some choices of where to boot from. Choose your WIN10 USB memory and

Follow the on-screen instructions to install WIN10 as a clean install.

Please - if there is anything amiss with this "PROCEDURE" make the corrections, take the credit, and GET IT OUT THERE

for all the perplexed HP small eMMC drives to avail themselves and get some miles out of their Notebooks & Laptops

POSTSCRIPT - The "procedure" is exactly the same for installing UBUNTU (or you can run it without installing)

The only difference is the ISO file that you download comes from the UBUNTU site. Again the correct choice needs to be made. I now have mine running from the USB Flash Drive memory stick with no more problems over the WiFi. It just needed the correct Router Keyword !!!  

Best regards

BerryG

HP Recommended

POSTSCRIPT UPDATE 3APR2018

OK thank you for that clarification. I am assembling the reality of this all the while.

So no BIOS - only UEFI & GPT   Now I see that UEFI partition in the main disk which also has a partition called C:\ which is where WIN16 is "installed"  Yes and another Partition for the Recovery - yes?

There is a very good post here somewhere - which if only I could get to it I will acknowledge as being the way to go.

Just in case I can't the bones of it are as follows.

Get a clean USB memory stick. (16Gb would be good)

Download from MS the correct ISO file for your machine. They have an index.

Download and deploy Rufus to make you a bootable drive using this ISO file

Alter the boot sequence in the BIOS or UEFI so that the USB port appears BEFORE drive C:\ (First)

Save it and reboot to see some choices of where to boot from. Choose your WIN10 USB memory and

Follow the on-screen instructions to install WIN10 as a clean install.

Please - if there is anything amiss with this "PROCEDURE" make the corrections, take the credit, and GET IT OUT THERE

for all the perplexed HP small eMMC drives to avail themselves and get some miles out of their Notebooks & Laptops

POSTSCRIPT - The "procedure" is exactly the same for installing UBUNTU (or you can run it without installing)

The only difference is the ISO file that you download comes from the UBUNTU site. Again the correct choice needs to be made. I now have mine running from the USB Flash Drive memory stick with no more problems over the WiFi. It just needed the correct Router Keyword !!!  

Regards to you all

BerryG

HP Recommended

To Harley Coder.

A wholehearted thank you from me and all those who were beginning to lose faith in HP & MS

I have tried to give you credit in my other misdirected posts but lost your name & post for a while.

I want to do exactly as you. Nice & comfortable in front of the fire surfing. I do not want to be a HP or MS expert in the process. I really do hope they are listening!

Yours is the most uplifting post on here. Well done and thankyou

Sincerely

BerryG

HP Recommended
Hello. I'm not real computer savy.... but you all seem to be. I can not figure out how to wipe the emmc so I can install from the USB. Please help.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.