Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Yes there is.  The Stream laptop is such a great deal it's hard to pass it up, but updating the laptop is a little cumbersome.  To upgrade to the next version of Windows, you'll need 10GB of free space on the device, and a USB drive with at least 14GB of free space.  The tricky part is getting 10GB free on the device.  Cloud storage from Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, or other services make it super simple.  Otherwise, a 64Gb-128GB USB drive might be your best bet to move your personal files and still have the 14GB left over to complete the upgrade.  There's a article on HP's website that explains how to do each step. Looks like Microsoft has a help article on how to do this as well.

Hope this helps. - Sam-In-Texas

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Yes there is.

The Stream laptop is such a great deal it's hard to pass it up, but updating the laptop is a little cumbersome.

To upgrade to the next version of Windows, you'll need 10GB of free space on the device, and a USB drive with at least 14GB of free space. The tricky part is getting 10GB free on the device. Cloud storage from Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, or other services make it super simple. Otherwise, a 64Gb-128GB USB drive might be your best bet to move your personal files and still have the 14GB left over to complete the upgrade.

There's a article on HP's website that explains how to do each step. Looks like Microsoft has a help article on how to do this as well. hope this helps. - Sam-in-Texas

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Yes there is.

The Stream laptop is such a great deal it's hard to pass it up, but updating the laptop is a little cumbersome.

To upgrade to the next version of Windows, you'll need 10GB of free space on the device, and a USB drive with at least 14GB of free space. The tricky part is getting 10GB free on the device. Cloud storage from Microsoft OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, or other services make it super simple. Otherwise, a 64Gb-128GB USB drive might be your best bet to move your personal files and still have the 14GB left over to complete the upgrade.

There's a article on HP's website that explains how to do each step. Looks like Microsoft has a help article on how to do this as well. hope this helps. - Sam-in-Texas

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

First off, yes it is a nice little laptop.  This info is okay for you and I, but not for the average user, and still unessesary for  anyone to have to do.  Someone at HP messed up, that's pretty clear, and now that nice little laptop is not such a good deal anymore is it? 

Luckily we have all these good HP Support folks to help out, I just feel sorry for the folks that cannot do this for themselves.

HP Recommended

@pcpunkwrote:

First off, yes it is a nice little laptop.  This info is okay for you and I, but not for the average user, and still unessesary for  anyone to have to do.  Someone at HP messed up, that's pretty clear, and now that nice little laptop is not such a good deal anymore is it? 

Luckily we have all these good HP Support folks to help out, I just feel sorry for the folks that cannot do this for themselves.

They can do it for themselves if they have access to that information.

HP Recommended

If they could, I would not be posting this?

HP Recommended

@pcpunk

If you follow the instructions and do a clean install you should end up with about 15gb of free space. Ample space for the next couple of  twice yearly updates. Run Disk cleanup after each update and set it up to store photos,files,etc on an SD Card that can be left in the Stream. You can change the location of the entire documents and photos folders to path of an SD Card so it is done automatically.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

@pcpunkwrote:

You haven't done anything as far as I call tell.

CherylG has written an excellent tutorial.

All I am reading from you is lots of whining and complaining but no action.

HP Recommended

@CherylGwrote:

@pcpunk

If you follow the instructions and do a clean install you should end up with about 15gb of free space. Ample space for the next couple of  twice yearly updates. Run Disk cleanup after each update and set it up to store photos,files,etc on an SD Card that can be left in the Stream. You can change the location of the entire documents and photos folders to path of an SD Card so it is done automatically.

I know Cheryl, I've been following this thread since I had to do the work on a clients machine.  Your directions are awesome as usual.  I was just stating my feelings that not all folks can do this, but since ieee488 has insulted me I won't be back to comment further.

HP Recommended

@pcpunkwrote:

@CherylGwrote:

@pcpunk

I know Cheryl, I've been following this thread since I had to do the work on a clients machine.  Your directions are awesome as usual.  I was just stating my feelings that not all folks can do this, but since ieee488 has insulted me I won't be back to comment further.

Would someone help me out with all this.  My head is spinning now that I've read all these posts.  Good to see you CherylG you have helped me greatly in the past!

It looks like the only recourse here is to do a Clean Install, am I missing something else about it all?

I am worried that this is just going to happen again, is there anything that can be done to prevent this.  I don't think I want to complicate things using another Storage Drive, like the SD Card suggestion, but will if that is needed.

Also wondering if HP is standing by this product, and doing something to help mitigate these issues, which are quite large in my opinion?

One more thing, is it still a thing not to have something like a Wireless USB Chip/Rceiver plugged in while doing a Clean Install?
The Crazy thing is they are still selling this inadequate SSD's in some of their other laptops.
First off, yes it is a nice little laptop.  This info is okay for you and I, but not for the average user, and still unessesary for  anyone to have to do.  Someone at HP messed up, that's pretty clear, and now that nice little laptop is not such a good deal anymore is it? 
No thanks, but thanks lol.  That is a good idea

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.