Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

UBUNTU isn't for everyone.  However,  if you are a linux fan, and are happy with the UBUNTU graphical user interface,  I think its great!  The STREAM just barely makes the recommend spec requirements for the HD.

Before making the switch be sure to consider that you will lose out on many of the  excellent features MSFT has added to EDGE, Mail,  Integration with your phone, and many more. 

I'm a huge fan of UBUNTU's LTS servicing model which is supported for 5 years. 

If you are considering moving forward with putting UBUNTU, or any other  linux distribution on  your STREAM device,  I'd recomend creating a bootable USB device and using it for atleast a week before making the switch.  This will help you identify all the program and tools you use, while also giving you the chance to test the OS on the device before taking the more drastic step of over-writing your Windows OS.   - hope this helps.  Sam-In-Texas

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

@Sam-in-Texaswrote:

I'm a huge fan of UBUNTU's LTS servicing model which is supported for 5 years.

I use Linux Mint 99% of the time.

I would be more inclined to install CloudReady on the Stream or similar hard drive challenged laptops.

CloudReady turns it into a Chromebook. More people are familiar with Chromebooks.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for this reply SAM-IN-TEXAS. It's very useful.

As it happens I am quite conversant with UBUNTU as I have it as dual boot option with XP on my Desktop. I can't fault it apart from compatibility with useful programs like SyncToy (for backing up) - Photoshop - Nero - Magix - Adobe Audition, and AVS suite, copies of which I have and are conversant with. UBUNTU does offer some similar suites but generally not so good. 

I have a bootable USB stick for Ubuntu that runs on the Stream (without installing) and it seems to be OK (64bit version).

You did not confirm though that one can revert to WIN10 as the licence key is in the BIOS. Nor the procedure for downloading the necessary file to do this.

I understand the warnings which are very sensible. In fact I would prefer that WIN10 is a success. The latest update went much better as I made space with CCcleaner.

How long do I need to keep the old files created in the upgrade which are variously in my machine or on USB memory sticks?

I also understand that there may soon be a cut-down version of WIN10 as MS come to terms with the needs of smaller memory devices. I don't need all the facilities on my Laptop that WIN10 can offer.

So here we are and here we'll stay - until they make another way

I am in your debt that I'll say - perhaps we'll meet another day!

Best rgds,

BerryG 

HP Recommended

Sorry - you HAVE answered my other queries right here. My previous did not acknowlwdge that

Rgds BerryG

HP Recommended

Definitely seeing other good options for Stream format at last.

Thank you and everyone for their interest & help

Rgds BerryG

HP Recommended

Short Version: Disk Cleanup allowed 1803 Update

Fascinating. Just got an attempt, a couple of days ago, to install 1803 to my HP Stream. It, of course, didn't install, as I didn't have enough free space[as I figured it wouldn't]. Looking to fix it by freeing up space it only showed I could free up about 92 MB[not enough.]  Since clean installing 1709, I'd planned to do the same for 1803, no big deal. So, started looking at this topic-site to see what's new. Among others, I saw CherylG's message[#97], to "Run Disk cleanup after each update", which I hadn't done with 1709. So, I decided to run it, and after a bit, it came back with a 'Windows Update' line available for deletion as well. So, what the heck, I checked it and started cleanup. Now, after a little more time Cleanup got to 99% and was just working away. I decided to cancel it. Next, I checked Windows Update and saw that 1803 was waiting to install. I let it go ahead [expecting it to stop at 50% or so, not enough space]. After a while, I came back, and to my SURPRISE, 1803 installed! Who knew, the update installed like it always SHOULD have! And to think I was getting all ready to use Rufus, Media Creation Tool, USB Memory Stick, etc. Ah, well, probably next time! [Unless, 'Windows Lean' actually becomes an option! :smileyhappy:]

HP Recommended

great news!

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

My own expereince closely echoes your own. I used CCcleaner to make 6Gb of space after WIN10 changed it's mind about the necessary space needed, I also ended up with two memory sticks with win files on them. I am wondering how long and which one to keep?

We're getting there at last. 1609 took a very long time but it did install. The rumour of a cut down version shows that someone is paying attention as they jolly well should.  My settings & passwords has been retained somehow! 

There was a fleeting offer to erase old Windows but I was too slow to click the flag and I don't know how to get that done. My memory sticks have been removed.... Is that wrong?

My C:\ drive is showing 3.21Gb of free space again now.

My Virtual Memory allocation is  2.831Mb (That's nearly 3Gb and nore than the RAM size. This is one way to make temporary space on the C: drive.   Reduce it but when zero it can cause crashes even when upgrading. Your call!

Rgds

BerryG

HP Recommended

I used Disk Cleanup, when it popped up,  clicked on the box 'Clean up system files'. This then allowed me to choose to remove any partial Windows Updates[BEFORE] or previous Windows 10 versions[AFTER]. I've got to add this to my notes for the NEXT major update. [Unless we get 'Windows Lean' before then.]

HP Recommended

CherylG - I think you have the answer to it here at last with this a recent update.

Once you have this facility - why do you need to have so much disc used as back-up support / System Restore?

It all seems mad to me!

Latest changes to Edge are - I know for a different string - but oh make me so mad!

If MS go on like this there will come tragedy for the company sooner rather than later. I cannot be the only one who is being driven bonkers by it all.

Thanks as always for your help

BerryG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.