Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
pavilion dv6-1334us.
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello:

I follow the "option one to do “a system Restore of w10 at boot”".

The steps are:  Advanced-Startup / Troupleshoot / Advanced option /

System Restore / ???????????

After the “System Restore” it prompts:

No restore point have been created on your computer’s system drive. To

creat a restore point open “System protection”

I press the “System protection”  it prompts:

System Protectection is available only in line operation system.

It seems that I don’t have “System Protection” yet. Where is “System Protection” ?

[my computer is connected to line]

Help me please!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@zpxykm

Your PC most likely, did not come with Win10 preinstalled, so from your description, it sounds like System Restore got disabled during the Update, and any Restore Points you still have would be only for the prior OS and would not work.

Additionally, without a full backup image, you can not actually use System Restore to do a factory reset of your PC.  When Windows Update runs, Windows creates a backup copy of all the system files that are going to be deleted and/or replaced.  When you run System Restore, all Windows does is overwrite the current system files with the ones that it saved.  So, system restore is not a full image backup/restore process.

If you're having serious problems with your PC and are trying to reset it, a Repair-Install might work.  This is the least destructive of all the Windows recovery functions and rewrites the Windows system files, including the drivers, leaving your data, settings, and applications intact.

To do this, you will need to use the link to download Win10 installation media and either burn a DVD or create a USB stick: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

Note that when you go do download and build install media, the tool defaults to matching what is already installed on your PC (as in, Home for Home, 64-bit for 64-bit). Make sure you select the same version as needed for your PC. If you do not, the resulting media will be different and will force you to enter a NEW product code!

Once you have that media, follow the instructions in the link: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@zpxykm

Your PC most likely, did not come with Win10 preinstalled, so from your description, it sounds like System Restore got disabled during the Update, and any Restore Points you still have would be only for the prior OS and would not work.

Additionally, without a full backup image, you can not actually use System Restore to do a factory reset of your PC.  When Windows Update runs, Windows creates a backup copy of all the system files that are going to be deleted and/or replaced.  When you run System Restore, all Windows does is overwrite the current system files with the ones that it saved.  So, system restore is not a full image backup/restore process.

If you're having serious problems with your PC and are trying to reset it, a Repair-Install might work.  This is the least destructive of all the Windows recovery functions and rewrites the Windows system files, including the drivers, leaving your data, settings, and applications intact.

To do this, you will need to use the link to download Win10 installation media and either burn a DVD or create a USB stick: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

Note that when you go do download and build install media, the tool defaults to matching what is already installed on your PC (as in, Home for Home, 64-bit for 64-bit). Make sure you select the same version as needed for your PC. If you do not, the resulting media will be different and will force you to enter a NEW product code!

Once you have that media, follow the instructions in the link: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello WAWood:

Your answer is very good.

What I am trying is to restore OS. for my old XP, I always back it up with GHOST and easily

to restore the OS with backuped file.

Now w10 brings much trouble. I hope that I can use the old GHOST way  to do backup and 

restore.  For that, I need to have a FAT32 partition in the HDD of w10 machine.

Could you tell me  the way to partition a partition of NTFS into FAT32 method(The size is around

50 GB)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.