Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-4007tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On system startup, sometimes my backlit keyboard does not illuminate. I have found limited success by opening and closing the screen (lid of the laptop) which sometimes re-ignites the keyboard. Sometimes, the keyboard just drops out and is not illuminated. Can you assist?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @petersmiley,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Certainly! If your HP Spectre X360’s backlit keyboard is not consistently illuminating upon startup or occasionally stops working, there are several steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue. Here’s a step-by-step guide:

Check Keyboard Backlight Shortcut:

• Ensure that you are familiar with the keyboard shortcut that toggles the backlight on and off. Typically, this is done by pressing the F5 key on the Spectre series or sometimes the Fn key combined with another function key. Make sure the backlight hasn’t been accidentally turned off.

Adjust Power Settings:

• Windows 10 has power settings that can affect how peripherals behave. Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options. Click on “Change plan settings” next to your selected power plan, then click on “Change advanced power settings.” Make sure the settings for the keyboard backlight are configured to stay on. Adjust if necessary.

Update Keyboard Drivers:

• Outdated or corrupted drivers can cause hardware functionalities to behave unexpectedly. To update your keyboard drivers:
    • Right-click on the Start button and select Device Manager.
    • Find the “Keyboards” section, expand it, and right-click on your keyboard driver. Select "Update driver" and then choose "Search automatically for updated driver software." Follow the instructions if updates are found.
    • After updating, restart your computer to see if the issue is resolved.

Check BIOS Settings:

• Sometimes, settings in the BIOS can affect the keyboard backlight. To enter the BIOS setup, restart your computer and repeatedly press the Esc or F10 key as it begins to boot up. Look for a setting related to the keyboard backlight and ensure it is enabled. Be careful when changing BIOS settings; only modify settings you are familiar with.

Reset the Hardware:

• Since opening and closing the lid sometimes resolves the issue, it might be related to a sensor or connection issue. Fully shut down your laptop, then remove the battery if possible (or if it’s a built-in battery, press and hold the power button for about 15 seconds to reset the internal hardware). Reconnect/start your laptop and check the backlight.

System Updates:

• Ensure your laptop is up to date with the latest Windows updates as they can include fixes for hardware issues. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and click on “Check for updates”.

Hardware Check:

• If the problem persists, there may be a hardware issue with the keyboard or its connection to the motherboard. If your laptop is still under warranty, contact HP customer support for a professional service.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @petersmiley,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Certainly! If your HP Spectre X360’s backlit keyboard is not consistently illuminating upon startup or occasionally stops working, there are several steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue. Here’s a step-by-step guide:

Check Keyboard Backlight Shortcut:

• Ensure that you are familiar with the keyboard shortcut that toggles the backlight on and off. Typically, this is done by pressing the F5 key on the Spectre series or sometimes the Fn key combined with another function key. Make sure the backlight hasn’t been accidentally turned off.

Adjust Power Settings:

• Windows 10 has power settings that can affect how peripherals behave. Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options. Click on “Change plan settings” next to your selected power plan, then click on “Change advanced power settings.” Make sure the settings for the keyboard backlight are configured to stay on. Adjust if necessary.

Update Keyboard Drivers:

• Outdated or corrupted drivers can cause hardware functionalities to behave unexpectedly. To update your keyboard drivers:
    • Right-click on the Start button and select Device Manager.
    • Find the “Keyboards” section, expand it, and right-click on your keyboard driver. Select "Update driver" and then choose "Search automatically for updated driver software." Follow the instructions if updates are found.
    • After updating, restart your computer to see if the issue is resolved.

Check BIOS Settings:

• Sometimes, settings in the BIOS can affect the keyboard backlight. To enter the BIOS setup, restart your computer and repeatedly press the Esc or F10 key as it begins to boot up. Look for a setting related to the keyboard backlight and ensure it is enabled. Be careful when changing BIOS settings; only modify settings you are familiar with.

Reset the Hardware:

• Since opening and closing the lid sometimes resolves the issue, it might be related to a sensor or connection issue. Fully shut down your laptop, then remove the battery if possible (or if it’s a built-in battery, press and hold the power button for about 15 seconds to reset the internal hardware). Reconnect/start your laptop and check the backlight.

System Updates:

• Ensure your laptop is up to date with the latest Windows updates as they can include fixes for hardware issues. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and click on “Check for updates”.

Hardware Check:

• If the problem persists, there may be a hardware issue with the keyboard or its connection to the motherboard. If your laptop is still under warranty, contact HP customer support for a professional service.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.