Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 16.1 inch Gaming Laptop PC 16-wf0000 (755F7AV)

I have a HP omen 16 wf0055tx. The product sheet says it has 2 thunderbolt ports which support upto 100w usb power delivery. The laptop came with a 280w charger at a 20V rating. 
First of all I would like someone to confirm whether the thunderbolt ports actually support charging. If so, then what is the minimum watt usb pd charger i need at 20v to use the laptop for light weight tasks (browsing, word, etc) while connected via thunderbolt instead of actual charger.

I tried using a 45w usb pd charger at 20v. Ofcourse i didnot expect it to work while using the laptop and that was true as HP system event utility showed the message "charger not sufficient" or "incompatible charger". However even with the laptop completely shut down (no fast startup), the 45w charger was not being used to even just charge the battery. I verified this as the power draw from my plug was 0w.

Summarizing my points, my main questions are:

1. I would like someone to confirm whether the thunderbolt ports actually support charging.

2. If so, then what is the minimum watt usb pd charger i need at 20v to use the laptop for light weight tasks (browsing, word, etc) while connected via thunderbolt instead of actual charger

(Sorry if this isn't under correct topic or category, hp was giving post errors)

Just someone interested in computers, error, bugs,etc.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Okay so I took the chance of buying a 100w pd charger even without confirmation (5A/20V). It works perfectly with both the thunderbolt4 ports and charges the device pretty well if shutdown (approx 57-60w speed) or under light load (browsing, youtube, etc) (approx 40w speed). Works fine, but make sure to not use performance mode while using the pd charger. Low requirement games runs fine even on pd but using performance mode would use power from battery as well (it is mentioned in the info icon below performance mode). (During gaming charging is very slow as expected: only about 6-10w because the rest of the power is being used by the cpu and the dedicated gpu). If you are doing cpu intensive tasks that only pushes the cpu, the cpu speed is throttled compared to the original charger. All core is around 1.9-2.7Ghz depending on task and duration. Single core boosts around 3.5Ghz max. The battery charging when doing cpu intensive tasks is around 20-28w).

(Note: Don't try to push the dedicated gpu into tasks that might require more than 30-35w from the gpu because it will mess up your processor (i saw mine going down to 0.66Ghz if gpu had a heavyh load).

I hope no one else has to take a shot in the dark like me (atleast for this particular model) as the forums were pretty divided in their opinion and mostly said HP omens don't support pd charging (transcends do) XD.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Since there were no replies, after much research through other omen models, previous models and several documents regarding my model, I am starting to believe that 100w is the minimum pd required for light work while charging through thunderbolt. However why the 45w was unable to charge it while shutdown i don't know.

If someone has done any tests or has any knowledge regarding this any info would be appreciated.

It might not be regarding this particular model, but if anyone has tried thunderbolt charging with any hp laptop that came with 200w or more official power supply, please let me know.

HP Recommended

Okay so I took the chance of buying a 100w pd charger even without confirmation (5A/20V). It works perfectly with both the thunderbolt4 ports and charges the device pretty well if shutdown (approx 57-60w speed) or under light load (browsing, youtube, etc) (approx 40w speed). Works fine, but make sure to not use performance mode while using the pd charger. Low requirement games runs fine even on pd but using performance mode would use power from battery as well (it is mentioned in the info icon below performance mode). (During gaming charging is very slow as expected: only about 6-10w because the rest of the power is being used by the cpu and the dedicated gpu). If you are doing cpu intensive tasks that only pushes the cpu, the cpu speed is throttled compared to the original charger. All core is around 1.9-2.7Ghz depending on task and duration. Single core boosts around 3.5Ghz max. The battery charging when doing cpu intensive tasks is around 20-28w).

(Note: Don't try to push the dedicated gpu into tasks that might require more than 30-35w from the gpu because it will mess up your processor (i saw mine going down to 0.66Ghz if gpu had a heavyh load).

I hope no one else has to take a shot in the dark like me (atleast for this particular model) as the forums were pretty divided in their opinion and mostly said HP omens don't support pd charging (transcends do) XD.

HP Recommended

My omen 16-wf0097nr charing with type-c 33w when shutted down. Before charge it turn off computer pressing shift button to full shutdown. Maybe help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.