Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop - 16-a0042nq
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello! After a recent BIOS update, my keyboard's backlight stopped working suddenly, together with the F5, F6, F7 and F8 keys.

I have tried everything except a hard reset of the laptop. 

Caps lock's light still works, so I am not sure if this is a hardware problem..

If anyone has encountered a similar problem or has any ideea of a potential fix, I would greatly appreciate it! 🙂

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Bog23,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like the BIOS update might have caused some compatibility issues with your laptop's keyboard backlight and certain function keys. Here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot the issue.

• Restart your laptop: Sometimes a simple restart can resolve minor issues.
  • Check BIOS settings: Access your laptop's BIOS settings and see if there are any options related to keyboard backlight or function keys that might have been affected by the update. You can try resetting the BIOS settings to default and see if that helps.
  • Update drivers: Make sure all your drivers, especially those related to the keyboard and function keys, are up to date. You can do this through the Device Manager in Windows or through HP's support website.
  • Check keyboard settings: Go to your laptop's settings and look for keyboard settings. Make sure the keyboard backlight settings are enabled and adjust them as needed.
  • Perform a hard reset: Since you mentioned you haven't tried a hard reset yet, it might be worth a shot. To perform a hard reset, shut down your laptop, disconnect all external devices, and then remove the battery (if possible). Press and hold the power button for about 15 seconds to drain any residual power. Then reinsert the battery (if removed) and restart your laptop.

By following these steps, you should hopefully be able to resolve the issue with your keyboard backlight and function keys.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

My lap top is: OMEN by HP 15t-dh000 CTO. Windows Pro v10 64 bit (up to date)

In the steps, you say to update the Check keyboard settings for the laptop. I am unable to find any settings for the laptop's keyboard. Please advise where to find these settings.

I am unable to turn OFF my keyboard backlights. I have updated the BIOS, removed my external keyboard and de-installed the external keyboard software, restarted the computer, but pressing the Function Key + F4 key has no affect on the back lights. This has been the case for at least 6 months. I am just getting around to try to figure out what the issue is. I also have disabled the function key in the BIOS, this means I MUST press the Fn Key AND F4 to activate this key (versus just pressing the F4 key to control the backlights). The volume increase (Fn+F5) and volume decrease (Fn+F6) still work so I know the Fn key is working. I have also checked the drivers. My laptop has a built-in battery, so I cannot remove it.

One item of interest is: Some articles said to go into the Omen Gaming app to check the backlight settings. I have never used this gaming app, but I have noticed it has disappeared from my laptop. That is, the "Omen" button just above the NumLock key on my keyboard has no effect when I press it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.