Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 8440p Notebook PC

My laptop has LED lights above the keyboard area and they come on when I power it on, but the screen stays blank and the Num lock and Caps lock LED lights blink together 3 times, pause and blink again for another 3 times. It does the blinking for three times 5 times with 4 pauses in between. 

This is how it happened

I was using the laptop normally and went away to quickly get something done. When I got back, the screen was dark. I thought the screen just darkened because I'd left it on for a while but when I touched the track pad the screen did not light up. I long pressed the power button and it went off. When I put it back on, it started doing the blinking I explained above. 

This started a few weeks ago and my Dad took it for repairs. When he brought it back, it came on just fine. However, while I was using it today, the laptop suddenly did the same thing as the last time. The repair man did not tell him what the issue was so I can't even say what it is they fixed.  

Another thing is, my laptop can only stay on for 1 minutes and 15 seconds after I unplug it from the power outlet before it goes out. Anytime I use it I always have it plugged in. I want to know if this is what is causing the issue or if there's something else entirely. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Grace_Eze 

Please try a hard reset and see if it works.

• Power off your notebook,
  • Remove the a/c adapter, battery and everything that is attached to your notebook,
  • Hold the 'POWER' button down on your notebook for about 10 seconds,
  • Plug in the a/c power supply (without battery) and power on.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Grace_Eze 

Please try a hard reset and see if it works.

• Power off your notebook,
  • Remove the a/c adapter, battery and everything that is attached to your notebook,
  • Hold the 'POWER' button down on your notebook for about 10 seconds,
  • Plug in the a/c power supply (without battery) and power on.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for responding🙏
I just tried it now and it didn't come on after the 10-second power button press, it just kept blinking. 

I observed something else. While the battery pack was in the laptop and the laptop was plugged to a power outlet, the charging indicator light will shine orange for about 15 seconds and go off for 20 seconds. It did this continuosly without stopping while it was plugged to the power outlet, however, when I removed it from the light it immediately went off.

I don't know if this might be related to the battery alone, or if it has something to do with the num lock and caps lock blinking. 

HP Recommended

I think I've solved the problem.

The network Icon LED light was always showing orange when I put on my laptop, and I saw a video where a person's laptop network light shone blue after it came on. I also saw the same Icon on the back of my laptop so I unscrewed the panel that had the Icon and saw that tape was used to hold some transparent tubes with wires down. The tape was worn so I replaced it with a new piece of tape. I did the 10 second power button press and the laptop came on. The first thing I noticed was the network Icon changed from orange to blue immediately it came on. 

The battery is still going off after 1 minute so I think it might have a problem. Thanks again for your response. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.