Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13.5 inch 2-in-1 Laptop PC 14-ef0000 (3Y838AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

I have a strange situation. For the past few weeks, the left side of my keyboard sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. It's always the same keys: Esc, 1 ! Tab a z

The keys all work sometimes and everything is fine. Then suddenly they start working erratically where they may or may not work. I have plugged a USB keyboard in and that always works, so it may be driver related. I have removed all the keyboard drivers so they are installed again, but the same problem occurs. 

It appears to be some software conflict, but I cannot determine how to find the software that is causing a conflict. I have ended some tasks in Task Manager that use the keyboard, but that hasn't found the culprit. I am really hoping to avoid reinstalling the OS and starting over.

Any suggestions on how to find out why these left keyboard keys, and only these keys, are not working?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @dcwebman1,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I understand you are facing a keyboard issue with your HP Notebook PC. Not to worry I will help you to get a resolution to resolve the issue.

To assist better:

While you respond to that please try the below steps:

Update the BIOS & Keyboard drivers to resolve this issue

• Here's the link to download and install the above updates: Click here

If the issue persists, then please follow the steps mentioned in this document: HP PCs - Testing for hardware failures in Windows 10

If the issue still persists, I'm sending out a private message to assist you with the next course of action. 

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

@,

I would request you to contact our Phone Support Team and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

• Step 1. Open link:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp
  • Step 2. Sign in / sign in as a guest
  • Step 3. Enter the product number or select to auto-detect
  • Step 4. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
  • Step 5. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and the phone number appear.

Note: Out-of-warranty product repair will cost.

Keep me posted on further assistance. Hope that helps! 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accept as Solution and Kudos, Thumbs Up buttons on the public post, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Rachel571,

Thanks for the reply. Looking in Windows Update history, I only see Windows 11 cumulative updates and .NET security updates. The problem was already happening before I installed Windows 11 23H2 on 2/18/24 hoping that would solve the issue, but it didn't.
Looking in Add & Remove Programs, there have been software programs updated since the problem started but no new programs added.

All the drivers on HP Support Assistant are up to date.

The BIOS is up to date and there are not any keyboard drivers available from HP: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/hp-spectre-x360-13.5-inch-2-in-1-laptop-pc-14-ef0000/model/2100...

I did previously run the hardware diagnostics for the keyboard but no problem was found. I have noticed in the past couple of weeks that HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows has popped up in the middle of the screen during the day running something but then disappears. I do not recall that running previously like that.

I have not received a private message from you. Unfortunately, my 1 year warranty has expired otherwise I would have called HP Support.

Thanks, Jeff

HP Recommended

Adding on to this, I'm starting to think it may be a physical keyboard problem. When I have a USB keyboard connected or when I'm docked and using an external keyboard, I have no problems with these particular keys. When using the internal keyboard and the problem happens, it might take a few key presses and the key will then work. Or it just doesn't work for a while.

HP Recommended

Hi @dcwebman1 ,

We apologize for the inconvenience, but it seems that the issue needs a hardware repair.

Unfortunately, there are no further actions we can take through this channel. I recommend reaching out to our phone support for further assistance.

They can help you with the unit repair or part replacement.

I request you talk to HP Phone Support and they will help you to sort it out as it requires advance support or repair.

1. Click on this link -  https://support.hp.com/us-en

2. Select the country.

3. Enter the serial number of your device.

4. Select the country from the drop-down.

5. Click on "Show Options".

6. Fill out the web form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It's unlikely to be a driver issue -- as getting good results with another keyboard indicates the opposite -- that the problem is with the built-in keyboard and is hardware based.

Here's a video from HP Support about troubleshooting laptop keyboards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3LmcBQRoh0

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Great video, thanks. It does appear to be a hardware problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.