Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Stream Notebook - 13-c050sa (ENERGY STAR)
Ubuntu LTS

Stream13 (NOT touchscreen model).

Lost display on Restart. Tried disconnecting battery - wait - and restart on PSU (no battery) Display restored!

Until repowered when lost again. Cannot now recover it.

Any ideas most welcome

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @BerryG ,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Understand your HP Stream Notebook 13-C050sa is experiencing a display issue where it loses display after a restart and cannot be recovered. Here are steps that might help diagnose and potentially fix the problem:

Potential causes:

• Hardware issue:
    • Faulty display cable
    • Faulty graphics card (integrated or dedicated)
    • Motherboard issue
  • Software issue:
    • Corrupted graphics drivers
    • BIOS corruption

Troubleshooting steps:

Hardware checks:

• Open the back panel of your laptop (consult the manual for instructions) and reseat the display cable connecting the motherboard to the screen. Make sure the connection is secure and free of dust or debris.
  • If your model has a dedicated graphics card, try reseating it as well.
  • Check for any visible signs of damage on the motherboard, such as bulging capacitors or burnt components.

Software checks:

• Boot into Safe Mode: Try booting your laptop into Safe Mode. In Safe Mode, only essential drivers are loaded, which can help isolate the issue if it's driver-related. If the display works in Safe Mode, it suggests a driver issue in normal mode.
  • Update drivers: Check for and install any available updates for your graphics drivers. You can do this through the HP Support Assistant or from the HP website.
  • Uninstall and reinstall drivers: If updating the drivers doesn't work, try uninstalling and then reinstalling them.
  • BIOS update: Consider updating your BIOS to the latest version. This can sometimes resolve hardware compatibility issues. 

Additional tips:

• Connect an external monitor: If your laptop has an HDMI or DisplayPort output, try connecting an external monitor to see if the display issue persists. If the external monitor works, it confirms the problem is likely with the laptop's internal display or its connection to the motherboard.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

Thank you so very much for taking such trouble to reply.

From that I realise that I have left out a somewhat important piece of information. Over a year ago I installed UBUNTU as WIN10 was by then so bloated that it could not update. (Always a problem with the limited memory and RAM). It was a triumph for 12 months. Then suddenly the screen fault. All lines after booting giving way to nothing.

I could not get any HDMI either - except the desktop background - not even before the screen fault developed.   

The only other thing not done so far that you also mentioned, is that screen to motherboard plug. It looked so secure. However I will retry it.  I suspected the cable itself owing to the flexing. Knowing that was always likely to be a weakness  I have avoided regular closing of the lid. However, it is now old and also very slow, and I am minded to retire it. The fact is that it owes me nothing. However, its in my nature to fix things and I won't give up yet.  

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.  Berry

HP Recommended

Hi@BerryG ,

Thank you for your response, I appreciate your efforts. As the issue persists, I am sorry to hear that  This needs one-on-one interaction  I'm sending out a private message to assist you with the next course of action. 

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.m

I hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.