Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-p245
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Since upgrading my HP laptop to Windows 10 my touchpad has completely stopped working. I currently use a USB mouse but this isnt a solution. 

First of all, when I unplug my USB mouse the pointer disappears completely. If I go into device manager in the 'mouse and other poiinting devices' section there doesnt seem to be an option for a touchpad.

I have installed the most up to date drivers for the touch pad off your website countless times. I have tried reinstalling Windows 3 times and nothing has changed.

I have had an on going conversation with Windows support for about 5 months and nothing has been resolved. I am incredibly disappointed with both HP and Windows for the lack of support and solutions to an update which was supposed to impove my computer experience.

Here is the link to my conversation with Windows regarding this matter. I'm attaching it for reference so you can read it and perhaps suggest alternative options which haven't already been suggested to me.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/trackpad-no-longer-working-does...

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello @JIMISTARSKI,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! The Forums are a great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I read your post about the TouchPad issue, and wanted to assist you!  I understand that you have tried many troubleshooting steps, and the issue is still not resolved.

This issue started once you upgraded to Windows 10.  Since you have been communicating with Microsoft for 5 months, is it safe to assume, that you are no longer able to revert back to the previous Operating System?  I see that you reinstalled Windows 3 times.  Did you do this by performing the Microsoft Push-Button Reset?  Or did you perform the System Recovery, to put the notebook back to its factory settings?  Did you create Recovery Media before upgrading to Windows 10?  In the meantime, you can try restoring the BIOS to its default settings.  You can use the following document to help.  Please post back with the results: 

HP Notebook PCs - Restoring the BIOS

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi,

OK I've checked my system restore I dont have a restore point before I upgraded to Windows 10. So that wont work. I tried resetting the BIOs and that didnt seem to have an effect.

I preformed the Microsoft push button reset which deleted all my apps but not my personal files and unfortunately nothing has changed.

I havent reverted to factory setting as I feel that could be a last resort situation.

Have you got any other ideas?

Best

Joe

HP Recommended

Hello @JIMISTARSKI,

Thank you for the reply!

Are you able to successfully download and install the TouchPad drivers from the HP site.  I understand that you tried downloading drivers from the site before.  But did they download and install properly?  First, try uninstalling the TouchPad from device manager, then restart the notebook.  This should allow the system to install compatible drivers.  If you are still having trouble, then try updating the driver using this: sp72142.exe

If that does not work, then uninstall that driver and try this driver instead: sp68122.exe

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Hi,

So I've installed the 2 separate drivers and they haven't changed anything. Something you should note is that in my Device manager there isnt an option for a trackpad. In the 'mouse and other pointing devices' it just had my USB mouse in there. When I remove the mouse from the USB port both the pointer disappears, and the 'mouse and other pointing devices' title. This would suggest the computer no longer reconises the trackpad at all. However when I install the drivers they install successfully and don't seem to be bothered that the trackpad doesn't exisist to the computer.

HP Recommended

Hello @JIMISTARSKI,

Thank you for the information!

Try using the Components Test, to test the hardware for failure.  You can use this document to assist you: HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎

Please update me with the details when you get the chance.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

OK, so I rana components test, mainly the mouse option and nothing worked. I had my USB mouse connected, which allowed me to move the cursor and complete the test. However when I ran it again I unplugged the mouse, the pointer remained where it was, but the track pad did not repond and the cursor didnt move.

Is this what you had in mind?

Best

Joe

HP Recommended

Hello @JIMISTARSKI,

Did you verify that the USB mouse was disconnected before starting the test, the second time?  If the test for the TouchPad passes, then you may consider performing a System Recovery, to put the notebook back to its factory settings.

I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

When I disconnected my USB mouse I couldnt use the pointer and so couldnt select to run the test. so it was connected when I ran the test. All the test asked me to do was click in various boxes or drag and drop, assuming to see if the mouse/trackpad was working, is this correct? 

If I reset to factory settings will I loose all my data, but also, does it revert to windows 8?

Joe

HP Recommended

Hello @JIMISTARSKI,

Since you have been dealing with this issue for over 5 months, you would not be able to go back to the previous Operating System, without using Recovery Media.  With this in mind, you may not be able to perform a System Recovery either.  That is my mistake.  If possible, are you able to start the test using the keyboard?  That way the system can check the TouchPad, and not the mouse.  Looking forward to your reply.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.