Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Thunderbolt Dock 120W G4
Microsoft Windows 11

Buggy Intel I225-LMvP Drivers from Microsoft Update Catalog causes unstable LAN Connection

Quick Information: This issue is now over three months old and I've found the resolution, but still no fix from HP / Microsoft because they need a lot of time for research.

When you connect an Windows 11 Notebook (I've tested this several EliteBook models, AMD and Intel doesn't matter, it depends on the built-in NIC from the Dockinstation) to an HP Thunderbolt Dock G4, Microsoft loads e.g. through WLAN the actual Intel Driver 2.1.2.3. Before April 2023, it was an older Driver who ran OK.

The Microsoft provided Intel Driver 2.1.2.3 is buggy, Date 31.09.2022 (September 31st 2022)

Bug: it disconnects random from LAN and re-connects to WLAN if you have local DNS Servers.

It has no impact which Firmware is on the Notebook nor Dockingstation, tried a lot with updates, issue still the same.

Resolution: use the original HP Intel Network Driver for HP Thunderbolt Dock G4, at this moment "sp139326"

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp139001-139500/sp139326.exe

It is Version 1.1.3.28, 05.03.2022 (March 5th 2022)

Issue: you cannot simply install the driver over the buggy one, you have two options:

a)

- delete the HP Thunderbolt Dock G4 from Device Manager incl. Drivers

- reboot

- execute sp139326.exe and follow the instructions

b) (my favorite)

- extract sp139326.exe

- manually "inject" the driver to the HP Thunderbolt Dock G4 Device

- eventually delete all old, buggy drivers from the device manager (for experienced users)

Reboot.

Then double-check if it is the correct one:

LogitComputer_0-1690812135415.png

LogitComputer_1-1690812147635.png

Furthermore tried 2.1.3.3 from Microsoft Catalog from 2023 - same issue, but not immediately, just after around one hour.

Hope this helps.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @LogitComputer,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're experiencing network driver issues with your HP Thunderbolt Dock G4. Network driver problems can indeed be frustrating, but there are a few steps you can take to try and resolve them. Here's a general troubleshooting guide to help you fix the issue:

Update Drivers: Ensure that all drivers, including network drivers, are up-to-date. You can visit the official HP website, enter your laptop or dock model, and download the latest network drivers specifically designed for your hardware and operating system.

Device Manager Check:

• Right-click on the "Start" button and select "Device Manager."
  • Expand the "Network adapters" section and identify your network adapter associated with the Thunderbolt Dock.
  • Right-click on the adapter and select "Update driver." You can choose to search automatically for updated driver software.

Uninstall and Reinstall Drivers:

• If updating the driver doesn't work, you can try uninstalling the existing driver first.
  • Right-click on the network adapter and select "Uninstall device."
  • After uninstalling, restart your computer.
  • Windows should automatically attempt to install the appropriate driver upon startup.

Check Compatibility:

• Make sure that your Thunderbolt Dock G4 is compatible with your laptop model and the operating system you're using.

Reset Thunderbolt Connection:

• Sometimes, connectivity issues can be resolved by disconnecting and reconnecting the Thunderbolt cable.
  • Unplug the Thunderbolt cable from both your laptop and the dock, wait for a few seconds, and then plug it back in.

Update Thunderbolt Firmware:

• HP sometimes releases firmware updates for their Thunderbolt docks. Check the HP support website for any available updates for your specific dock model.

Check Network Settings:

• Sometimes, network issues are related to settings rather than drivers.
  • Check if your network settings are configured correctly. You can also try resetting your network settings to default.

Check for Windows Updates:

• Ensure that your Windows operating system is up-to-date. Windows updates can include important driver updates and bug fixes.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hello Alden,

As stated in my info, the fix for this particular strange behaviour is inside my first post.

Your procedure is the complete correct way as it should be.

Unfortunally, Microsoft nullifies this with the automatic driver update from the Microsoft Driver Catalog, loading the buggy driver version 2.1.2.3..

As I've mentionned, the HP Driver is working correctly when installed before the connection to the Thunderbolt Dock G4 and Microsoft makes no update.

Unfortunally, when you have existing Notebooks and they change the desk, e.g. from a G2 to a G4 Dock, the driver for the integrated Intel I225-LMvP of the G4 Dock will be installed by Microsoft Update from the Microsoft Driver Catalog, at this moment version 2.1.2.3, and this version is reproducable buggy.

Then you have manually install the HP Driver, at this moment version 1.1.3.28.

There is an open ticket with HP Switzerland since mid-April 2023, it was escalated.

HP Recommended

Hi @LogitComputer,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Due to limited support, I would request you contact our HP Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link.

https://www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.