Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Presario CQ57
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Wireless realtek 8188CE connects fine under windows 7.  Upgraded to windows 10 and it no longer fully connects.  It will recognize my network but will always connect with limited (non-web) connection.  I have tried various drivers, reboots of computer, router, dsl modem with no luck resolving the problem.  The only way I can get online with this computer is to roll back to windows 7.  I have uninstalled windows 10 so many times I lost count.  I have also tried wiping the hd and starting fresh with no luck either.  Please help!!!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Elgan,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I came across your post about the Notebook, and wanted to assist you! I have looked into your issue about your Compaq Presario CQ57 Notebook and issues with the Wireless not connecting after an update. Some say you could restore the BIOS to factory defaults help with this. Here is a document that shows you how to restore BIOS factory default settings. That way it will look at the Hardware installed on the Notebook.

You can try this download: sp59181.exe. Driver support from Realtek ended for the RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter ended with Windows 8.

You could  try using the Windows Update Troubleshooting tool to fix any updates that have not come through for Windows.  Please restart the Notebook twice to make sure all update have been completed!

Please let me know how this goes.

You can say thanks for trying to help by clicking the Thumbs Up below! Smiley Happy

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I have a bit wose case

realtek 8188CE makes BSOD during winows 10 start

I am to switch WLAN off in BIOS to start windows 10

I have probook 4730s

Should I buy another WLAN card, embedded or usb or fight with drivers to realtek 8188CE

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.