Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

There are no master passwords or password generators for EliteBooks and ProBooks.

You must contact HP Support.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html

OR

Replace the BIOS chip.

The model that I have is a 6550b i5.

Purchased the BIOS chip for around $22.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNLOCK-HP-PROBOOK-BIOS-PASSWORD-CHIP-4515s-4720s-6440b-6450b-6455b-6545b-655...

Started at 16:00 hours this afternoon.

Removed AC, main battery, keyboard then BIOS battery.

I used small pointed wire cutters and just clipped the leads of the password locked BIOS chip and removed it.

6550b.JPG

Then used soldering iron to just cleanup the old chip legs.

Soldered new pre-programmed Bios chip into place.

Just connected the keyboard and AC to test.

Nothing.

Went back and checked my solder joints and found one that did not take.

Touched up that solder joint, connected AC and keyboard then fired her up.

BIOS password is gone. “16:30 hours” "Total time 1 hour"

I will be ordering more chips for the other 6550b’s we have that are password locked.

I will also be doing follow-ups in the future on other models.

Have fun.

REO

If you replace a locked BIOS chip please leave a reply with your result.

I must inform you that these services are not endorsed by HP, and that HP is not responsible for any damage that may arise to your system by using these services. Please be aware that you do this at your own risk.

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended
Please, it is applicable to HP Compaq 6730b laptops since I have one with the same problem.
HP Recommended

Welcome Mozay.

Yes it will work on your model laptop.

Your BIOS chip is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNLOCK-HP-COMPAQ-BIOS-PASSWORD-CHIP-6715b-6730b-6715s-6710b-6720s-6735s-6710...

When you purchase the BIOS chip they will e-mail you the chip location.

REO

I must inform you that these services are not endorsed by HP, and that HP is not responsible for any damage that may arise to your system by using these services. Please be aware that you do this at your own risk.

HP Recommended
Thanks very much. I'll do just that.
HP Recommended

Your welcome Mozay.

Just take your time and everything should go OK.

Let us know your results.

Thanks for the KUDOS.

REO

HP Recommended

OK. So i got my bios replaced on a 8460p today and I started to reinstall OS. After that I had some troubles with CAPS LOCK - flashing continuosly after waking up from sleep mode. Tried all sort of things to do but nothing worked. Did you ever had this problem? Could it be related to BIOS? Looking forward to an answer.

HP Recommended

Yoshi.

How may times does it flash???

Have you updated all drivers???

Have you updated the BIOS to the latest version???

Let me know.

REO

HP Recommended

So it's flashing continuosly if it goes to sleep then wakes up. I have used a tool called to hpib124.exe to validate my product id and s/n. Strange thing is that everything works fine IMO but it's an annoying thing to see that caps flashing all time. I managed to install all updated drivers. F42 its my current bios. I also found that a non stop flashing caps can be related to some kernel problems. Another thing is that I got into Event Viewer and there are some problems with processor, quote "Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected."

and a kernel related problem

"The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report."

I can't figure out what this means. Can you help me around a little? Now I found a tool which it's called boot64efi and has something to do with shell. Would it help? 

HP Recommended

Yoshi.

What OS did you install???

REO

HP Recommended
w7 64 bit
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.