Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion HDX9313TX
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

I would like to change my system date.

All the instructions I have found both on this discussion board and in the startup info suggests f10 to be the key to press (Start up says F10 loads up the ROM settings). I have also tried other suggested keys Esc and F1 I still end up in the same ROM settings menu.

When I get into this the Main and Advanced tabs (which HP Bios articles refer to) that would have all the important IO settings are not there so I can't change the system date . The system info is there (but nothing can be changed), security(start up passwords) and boot up order are also there but the the IO settings are just not there. It dosn't seem to have and admin passwords setup.

I have the F.40 BIOS installed. Do I need to change the BIOS or is there some other way of getting into the main BIOS settings to change the date.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I would not update the BIOS with a notebook as old as yours. There is a very real risk of bricking the notebook.

Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the f10 key to enter the BIOS setup window.

In the Main window there should be a section for system time and one for system date.

Use the down arrow to get to the system date.

Do not use the right or left arrow key as it will bounce  the selected BIOS page from your current page to the next one. That can be pretty frustrating. 😉

Press the return key to access the sections in the system date.

Use the number keys to change the date.

When you have made the change you can press the F10 key to save the changes and exit.

If your notebook still has the original RTC battery installed, chances are that it has failed by now and is no longer keeping the date or time.

The RTC batteries are usually only good for two to four years, if you are very lucky. 😉

When the RTC battery fails it is no longer capable of supplying current to the BIOS chip so it can retain its settings.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks but that hasn't actually answered my question. I can access what appears to be a Bios menu however it isn't called the BIOS in the HP startup screen however it is the F10 key which I have been pressing to access this menu. It is the most up to date BIOS version of F.7.40 for this hp pavilion hdx 7313tx and has the following menu tabs

File
Storage
Security
Power

but no Advanced tab.

The file tab doesn't have the Set Time and Date option etiher.

So I really want to find a way to actually changing the date which is why I was wondering if going back to version 6 bios may get me access to these more advanced settings.

I think the RTC battery must somehow be still be working as my system seems to maintain the correct date and time, this was a refurbished pc so they may have replaced the RTC battery before I got it however it must still be 7 yo. 

I am looking at a replacement system however would like to try to keep this one alive too.

HP Recommended

According to the PC setup manual for you notebook the time\date settings should be in the System Information section of the BIOS.

See the following manual. (page 4)

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01230865

If it is a refurbished notebook, then it has a new RTC battery.

Good luck on rolling back to an older BIOS version.  

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.