Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I need to connect a device on my laptop that only has ONE audio panel (for a headphone AND microphone device).

This does not recognize my microphone only device.

Is there a driver I can download to use for it to recognize my microphone?

I also have a USB that I can connect instead, which driver should I download for it to record sound through USB?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi Nikker,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I saw your post regarding the problems with the microphone. Most HP notebooks have a built-in mic to confirm that I will need to know your product number. You said it won't recognize your microphone but does it see it in Sound in your Control Panel. If it is listed there we can try to set it as the default recording device. This third-party link will show you how to do that about halfway down.

As for a driver that will let you record sound through your USB with a USB microphone there is no HP driver for that. There might be a driver from the company that makes the USB microphone.

Also what is your operating system?

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Windows 8.

My model should be the "HP Pavillion TouchSmart 15.6 Inch 8GB 1TB Laptop.".

Product number is F5B58EA#ABU.

The USB I use is no specific brand.

My previous laptop had two jacks, one output for the headphones one input for the mic so I simply connected a Jack to Jack from my guitar's pedalboard and recorded through any software, specifically audacity.

This one has only one jack so when I connect the mic, nothing happens.

So I bought a jack to USB converter to connect to the USB slot but still when I connect it wont recognize anything.

I suppose I should need a driver or a...codec (? whatever that is).

Thank you, I look forward to the resolution of that issue.

Nikker.

HP Recommended

Hi Nikker,

Did you go to your Sound to see if the microphone was listed there? If it was did you try to set it to the default recording device?

Do other USB devices work in that USB port? There maybe a USB driver but there is no sound or audio codec beyond the regular audio driver.

Thank you,

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Nope.

Not listed. Here is a print screen. Even though jack is connected nothing happens.

http://imgur.com/xhqIivQ

really is there a way a USB option could show up there? My older laptop had a  dedicated jack input for recording and an output for headphones, used audacity and that was it.

Now I tried both with the USB and the jack and nothing happens.

HP Recommended

Hello Nikker,

I see some further research and it does look like your model doesn't support the microphone through the audio jack. As for the USB microphone I recommend that you contact the manufacturer of the microphone.

Thank you,

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.