Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP received my repair yesterday and it was sent out again today and I should get it tomorrow. No call no email on any updates so fingers crossed on they actually fixed it and not just made gestures. If it is not fixable I will have to return the unit. 

HP Recommended

Got my new Kaby Lake version on the 12th. Also noticed the battery drain both shutdown and in sleep mode. Just installed the new BIOS version, changed the performance mode in BIOS to "balanced", and turned off usb charging while in sleep and shutdown in the BIOS. I'll return to the forum to let everyone know my experience overnight tonight. I concur that this seems like an issue that shouldn't ever have gotten past quality control testing. Drain while shutdown?? WTH!

HP Recommended

Guys

I don't want to declare prematurely but i couldn't hold the excitement and also thought may be all who has the battery drain issue can try this as well in the meantime.

In the last 4hrs i haven't seen any battery drain while shutdown! but i will need to try a 24hrs and a 48hrs test to confirm if this permanently fixes the issue or just reduces the drain while shutdown.

Based on the last 4hrs observations, no drain - the following needs to be done

1. Update your BIOS to F10 version - make sure this is properly updated

2. Reboot your system and hit the ESC key repeatedly to get to the boot menu, and choose BIOS setup

3. Set the option USB powered on when shutdown to 'disabled'

4. Save and Exit

Thats it!

This proved dodgy on older BIOS version, but seems to work with latest BIOS version F10.

Keep your observations posted, i will too. 4hrs successful, will update in more than 24 hrs again.

Good luck!

Cheers

HP Recommended

Exciting

My first reaction was that the bios update did not help when I woke up and checked but I was not completely sure cause I had forgot at what % the battery was when I went to sleep. I checked again and wrote down 35% when I left home. That was about 3.5 hours ago. I will check when I get home again. 

Regarding ur 1 - 4 list. 

1. How do I check that its properly updated? When i went into bios its said the date of the driver was the newest one. 

2 and 3. I had already done that before updating to new BIOS version

I guess I will know more when I get back home.

HP Recommended

Yeah, just updating the BIOS to version F10 didn't do it for me either.

You need to set the USB to be powered off when shutdown in the new updated BIOS version F10!

You can check the BIOS version by going in to the BIOS setup itself on boot, or type system information after login in to Win 10 on the search, it should tell you the version you are on.

Hope this helps.

regards

HP Recommended

To all.

Updated the BIOS yesterday afternoon and left it shutdown overnight.  Drain went from 89% to 82%, which is 0.5% per hour - no change.

I had not changed the BIOS for USB charging, but I did not have anything connected to the USB ports.  I will change the BIOS this morning and report back this afternoon.

There is always hope.....

HP Recommended

I updated the BIOS to version 10 last night before going to bed with full 100% charge and within the BIOS I disabled USB charging.

Upon waking up this morning I'm at 94%. So over 7 hours I lost 6% battery while shutdown. The issue is not resoved by the new BIOS nor the USB charging setting unfortunately. Need HP to take action on this.

HP Recommended

Prior to noticing the battery drain while shutdown issue, I've kept the Spectre at my desk moving software onto it etc to eventually replace my desktop machine with it. I had planned to use the Spectre with a Thunderbolt 3 dock to run all my periphels. As some of you may know, Thunderbolt 3 docks are coming out, but slowly. Also, there are some compatibility issues to consider. Right now, HP isn't playing nice with 3rd party Thunderbolt 3 dock manufacturers (HP isn't allowing charging to the Spectre from a 3rd party Thunderbolt 3 dock at this writing - they're controlling this matter through their Thunderbolt 3 port firmware). In fact, I was told by HP that one of their (HP's) Thunderbolt docks won't work with the Spectre while another one they have might, but they're not sure - wow...they can't build a Thunderbolt 3 port that's compatible with their own Thunderbolt dock?? ...  I know, alternate universe, right?? So, whether I'll be able to run my office from my Spectre remains to be seen. It certainly doesn't sound promising.

Getting back to the main point, I received my serviced Spectre back from HP yesterday afternoon. I noticed two nice scratches on the case that weren't there when I sent it off to HP (I was very particular with it, and I cleaned it up before shipping it off to HP so I did a complete visual check of the exterior before putting it in the shipping container they provided to return it for service - there was not one scratch or mar on it) - thanks HP for damaging the finish while your techs updated the firmware and replaced some "missing drivers." That is what it said on the HP Repair Details sheet they included with the Spectre. It said they repaired the problem, and "the problem was duplicated during full diagnostics." So, the problem according to HP was a needed firmware update and some drivers that weren't there (?) to correct the battery drain after shutdown. They didn't say all that last part; they just said they duplicated the problem and repaired it.

I may have to eat crow, but at 3:30 PM today it will have been 24 hours since I charged the Spectre to 100% and shut it down. At 3:30 I'll know if there's been any battery drain. Frankly, I hope the firmware update along with installing some "missing" drivers will banish the battery drain while shutdown issue forever...why am I not optomistic?

I'll report later in the day with my findings (sigh).

HP Recommended

Hey everyone.

Can I suggest that in our posts, that we include the following information, to see if there are any commonalities between us with these battery drain issues?

- HP Spectre x360 model number

- BIOS version currently installed

- USB items that are currently in use

- Battery drain statistics that you are experiencing

- Other notes that may give additional insight

I almost feel like we should try and include this information at the footer of all of our posts…as this will give all readers of this thread quick access for their reference.

I’ll start with what info I have at hand.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- HP Spectre x360 model number = HP Spectre x360 13-4193nr Signature Edition

- BIOS version currently installed = F.43 Rev.A

- USB items that are currently in use = USB Logitech mouse via USB transceiver

- Battery drain statistics that you are experiencing = If the USB mouse transceiver is plugged in, on average I can expect a 0.5% per hour drain.

- Other notes that may give additional insight = My HP Spectre x360 was purchased through Microsoft Soft and came with no HP bloat-ware.

HP Recommended

I have the same observation with F.10 bios and no USB charging)  with my Spectre 360  model 13-w023dx.   Does anyone not have this issue with this model? 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.