Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-ac018na

Hi

I recently receaved an error on my laptop stating that it would have to restart.  Unfortunately it never restarted properly and when i switch it on or off i only get a blank blue screen.  If i hit the f11 key continuosly when restarting i only get same screen but small text lower left corner stating 'F11....Sytem recovery'  But nothing happens other than this.

Any help and advice on this would be much appreciated, thanks!

Colin

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome !

Your PC originally comes with Win 8.1 preinstalled ? Do you still use 8.1 or you upgraded to Windows 10 later ? If you did, what OS version you prefer ?  Looking forward to your confirmation.

Sound like a software issue. However, just to be on the safe side, let's perform some quick tests/diagnostics.

1. Please, shutdown the computer using the power button

2. Power it on.

2.1 As soon as you press the power-on button, immediately begin hitting the Esc button (like tap-tap-tap).

This should open a HP Startup Menu which may look similar to this one

3. Choose F2 to open System Diagnostics. Follow the on-screen instructions to perform System Test >> Quick test.

This will check major hardware componets for issue (do it just in case) . Here is more info >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259#AbT1

If quick diagnostics is not available, please perform HDD and RAM checks.

If the tests pass without issues, continue. If not, please, let me know the results.

4. Repeat steps 1-2 but when HP Startup menu opens, please choose F11 for System Recovery options.

The computer should boot from recovery partition to open you various recovery options. Note, that F11 option will only work if the recovery partition is there (not deleted) and intact. From there, you have prenty of options to choose from.

If F11 works now, let me know . If not, I will wait for your clarifications and will provide you with next steps to fix the issue.

Cheers!

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for your reply. 

I am not completely sure about OS as can't remember if i upgraded or not as have a PC too.  I tried pressing esc button at start up but with a similar result as i mentioned in my original post, blank blue screen and stating 'esc....pause reboot' on bottom left corner in small text. Getting nowhere i'm afraid.

Basically i get similar results pressing any F key.

Thanks 

HP Recommended

Well, you are right - it doesn't sound ok.

I am somehow "shocked" and "amazed" about this blue screen (blank blue screen). Could you please make a short video or take a few pictures about what happens - then upload it (them) to some online sharing platform like Google Drive, MS OneDrive, Dropxbox, etc... and give me a URL to download/see.  Thank you for your cooperation.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.