Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Windows 7

Dear Sir,

I have an HP HDX X18T-1200 CTO Premium with the following system information:

Serial Number:   (Personal information removed) 
Product Number:   NK148AAR

Processor: intel (R) core (TM) 2 Duo CPU T9900 @ 3.06GHz (2 CPUs).

Memory: 8192 MB RAM

Display: NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M

Approx. Total Memory: 4061MB

My laptop working very good since I bought in 2010, but now I face CPU over heating problem as follow:

I am running a simulation program (Comsol V5 multiphysics), and working on 3D flow simulation, sometimes my laptop goes off (hibernating or just power cut off) when I log to windows event viewer I see the following error message:

"The system was hibernated due to a critical thermal event.
Hibernate Time = ‎2014‎-‎12‎-‎22T15:15:15.746292400Z
ACPI Thermal Zone = \_TZ.TZ01
_HOT = 378K"

as I understood that my CPU goes above 100 c then system hibernating to prevent damage to my laptop hardware. Please sir could help me solve this problem and working on my laptop well again.

ps.: this problem happened just when I running my work simulation on comsol software.

Best Regard's, 

Mohammed A. (Personal information removed)

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey @alameedi ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you're experiencing some issues with heat on your HDX X18T-1200 notebook.

You have a few options, but they are quite invasive. If you are not comfortable disassembling the notebook please take it to a service provider in your area.

The most likely resolution is to clean out the systems fan and internal components and to reapply thermal paste to the heat sink/CPU.

You can see how to open the product to remove the fan and heatsink here: HP HDX 18 Entertainment PC - Maintenance and Service Guide.

1. Open up the notebook but do not yet remove the fan.
  2. Blow out any dust and clean things up as best you can.
  3. Use section 4-54  in the guide above to see the steps to remove the fan/heat sink assembly.
  4. Clean up any residual thermal paste with a Q-Tip lightly moistened with rubbing alcohol on both the CPU and heat sink.
  5. Reapply a small amount in the center of the CPU. Be careful as when you reapply the heat sink the thermal paste will spread, you don't want anything to bleed over the edge of the CPU, but you want enough to cover the top of the CPU.
  6. Reinstall the fan/heat sink.

You can order thermal paste really cheap on websites like Newegg and Amazon.

Thanks! 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Dear Sir,

I thank you very much for your reply. I did your steps few months ago for just clearning and routine maintenance, but I installed the comsol software couple weeks ago. Sir, I there is any other solution plesase let me know.

Best Regard's,

alameedi

HP Recommended

You've stated you did a cleaning but did you reapply thermal paste? Another common trick is to add a copper shim between the CPU and heatsink to improve contact between them for more heat transfer.

You may need to replace the fan completely. It's also possible the software is too intensive for the CPU.

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Dear Sir,

I will try to add a copper shim on the the CPU as you said, and I will let you know the result?

Best Regard's,

Mohammed A. Alameedi

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.