Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-akooo-nv

Hello, 

This question is made regarding HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook - 15-ak000nv (ENERGY STAR) (Model #: P1S62EA).

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-Gaming-15-ak000-Notebook/8610971/model/9044498?sku=P...

Does the particular model contain a TPM chip to be used with BitLocker?

Thanks in advance, 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

No it doesn't.

No HP consumer notebook has a TPM chip.

If you want a HP notebook with a TPM chip, you would need to get a high end HP business notebook such as the Probook 600 series or the Elitebook 800 series.

HP Recommended

I actually have already bought that model and it DOES CONTAIN a TPM chip. The reason I am asking the question is because I knew that TPM was reserved for business laptops such as ProBooks and Elitebooks.

I was astonished that it contains a TPM chip. Is this normal? Why does the laptop contain a TPM chip while it shouldn't?

HP Recommended

That is very interesting.

I knew that there was some kind of security device in there, but was unaware it was an actual TPM chip.

The security device in your notebook only works with W8.1 and W10's security features.

In other words if you were to install Windows 7 Ultimate with Bitlocker, the security device will not work as there are no W8 or W7 drivers for it.

When you go to the device manager, what actual device name does it have listed under the security devices section?

On my HP business notebooks, it actually says it is a Trusted Platform Module 1.2 and this works on any operating system not just W8.1 or 10.

HP Recommended

Yes, it is listed under Security Devices in the Device Manager and it is TPM v2.0.

It's actually quite strange that it has one cuz it is not listed in the device specs before buying. I am going to check the display model at the store too 😛

HP Recommended

That is great news.

Thanks for letting me know.

Like I said though, that will only work on W8.1 and W10.

Those operating systems have the security chip drivers included.

You can read more about this new chip at the link below.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/47770?start=0&tstart=0

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.