Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, 

I'm posting here to let most of you know how to lock or unlock the FN+Key functions on your notebook.

The fn key serves more than one function and its action will be dictated by the other key(s) pressed in combination with the fn key.  Basically though it's a way of accessing shortcuts, for example holding down the fn button and pressing f3 is a quick way to open your browser homepage. 

Here is list for what function keys do:

Before entering the OS

F1 - System Information
F2 - System Diagnostics
F9 - Boot Device Options
F10 - BIOS setup
F11 - System Recovery

During Boot

F8 - Windows Advance Option

In Windows

F1 - Open Help window
F2  - Rename the selected item
F3 - Opens Search window
F4 - Display the Address bar drop down list in Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer
F5 - Refresh the current active window
F6 - Cycle through items in current active window
F10 - Displays the menu bar in the active window and underlines the menu bar shortcut keys
F11 - Toggle Full Screen Mode On or Off in Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer
Alt + F4 - Close the current active window or program. From the desktop, it opens the Shut Down Windows window.
Ctrl + F4 - Close the active document (in programs that allow you to have multiple documents open simultaneously)
Shift + F10 - Open context menu of selected item

Also, here's a document which guides you through disabling or enabling the FN+Keys.

I hope this answers any questions you guys have on how to disable or enable the FN keys. 

THX

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I hope this helps. 

THX

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I hope this helps. 

THX

HP Recommended

I'm having a huge problem with this, I upgraded to windows 10 (not sure if that makes a difference) but that option does not exist in my BIOS settings anywhere, especially where you've said.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.